Cochin Thread!!!

So.. I broke down to the whims of a pretty awesome kid and pre-ordered him a "cutie" chicken. He chose a black Cochin. I hope she ends up being friendly and calm because he's going to want to hold her every single day. She'll arrive the beginning of March with the rest of the chicks.

This is my 10 week old mottled cochin bantam, Jezebel. She hasn't quite lost all the yellow in her yet from when she was younger. :3

This is our other 10 week old Cochin, who we aren't quite sure on sex yet. Thought she was a she, but there is a little wattles development. It's still very pale colored though and her comb is very small and pale. So who knows!

Hello everyone, I am totally new to owning chickens and roosters. I helped rescue a rooster who had been living in the city of Cumberland, MD and we made headline news. Anyway I'm hoping you nice people can let me know exactly what kind of rooster I have and also we just got 3 females for him last night. All the females are so fluffy with feathers and look like they have snow boots on because of all the feathers on their feet. I absolutely love Lucky the rooster and he falls asleep in my arms (brown a\& white speckles). I'm hoping the females take to me like he did. Here are a few pictures. If I need better close ups, please let me know. I will probably have a million more questions but I've really been trying to read a lot of posts. I have checked other pics of roosters and chickens but I really want to be sure by people who know rather than taking a wild guess. Thank you for all help in advance and look forward to many years with my new pets. Sorry if pictures are not so good. We have a black & white, solid black and the other female is grey & black. All have feathered feet.

Hello and thank you for replying. He is very gentle and loves to be held. As soon as I pick him up and cuddle him he lays his head down and closes his eyes. Will lay there forever until he hears the girls.

Can cochins become broody before they even lay? My 25 week old isn't laying yet, and it doesn't appear that she is going to in the immediate future? (Her comb is still more pink than red) She's been spending time investigating the nesting box, however, and this morning I found her laying on my other hen's egg and a ceramic egg. If I move her out of the nesting box she walks straight back in.
hu.gif

Can cochins become broody before they even lay? My 25 week old isn't laying yet, and it doesn't appear that she is going to in the immediate future? (Her comb is still more pink than red) She's been spending time investigating the nesting box, however, and this morning I found her laying on my other hen's egg and a ceramic egg. If I move her out of the nesting box she walks straight back in. :confused:

Yep they sure can .

Back
Top Bottom