Cochin Thread!!!

1 is whites with a lot of blue gray color and the other one is heavily covered in a grey color with a little bit of yellow on the head. I'm not concerned about the variety of the brownish ones in the photo.[/quote
I don't think they meet the qualifications for any color out there the one with some yellow or buff on its head I can see in the pic it has some black penciling on the ends of its wings I think they are closest to splash.

1 is whites with a lot of blue gray color and the other one is heavily covered in a grey color with a little bit of yellow on the head. I'm not concerned about the variety of the brownish ones in the photo.[/quote
I don't think they meet the qualifications for any color out there the one with some yellow or buff on its head I can see in the pic it has some black penciling on the ends of its wings I think they are closest to splash.

Thanks! They look a bit more smudgy these days. Patience is not my strong suit, but it is a bit of a waiting game.

I know this might offend some purists but I have a calico cochin male who mated my white leghorns and I put four of their fertile eggs in the incubator. So in a few weeks I'll have some interesting little chicks. Don't worry it won't be passing them off as anything but a barnyard backyard mix.

No not offended. I am trying to get my flock down to just Cochins. I have 2 black Langshan roosters and a white Langshan hen.
at first it wasn't a problem because they mature slow but now they have been starting fights with my Cochin roosters, and forcing themselves on my Cochin ladies. If I'm going to sell eggs I can't have that.

Oh absolutely, I understand that completely. I have 1 Coop that has a large enclosed run and another Coop to the free-range area. So my breeding birds can be separate from the rest of the flock so that I know my other roosters won't be interfering. I have been thinning down my flock quite a bit actually as when I first started I had a very big mix of birds. I plan to build an entire other free-range area for my laying Birds which are all mixed obviously and I don't need a rooster for them. Of course those are comprised of mostly Easter Eggers leghorns and gold comets etcetera. Then I have my polish crested and silkies and more novelty Birds which I keep in my other area. My goal is to have them all separated so that when I do choose to hatch I would know exactly what I'm getting lol. You know, basic chicken stuff. I have a couple dozen fbcm and Mille Fleur d'uccle in my incubators right now. And I have some very young fbcn in my brooder. My goal is to have a trio fbcm and Mille fleurs as well as my polish crested Trio and my silkies. I would like to have a Cochin Trio as well but it's proving more difficult to get my hands on some good Birds. I do have a trio of wyandottes but my girls are silver laced and my roo is a blue laced red.
I find it hard to stick with just one breed as I am fascinated by so many.

Wow! You have a lot of chickens.
back when I started about 5 years ago my mom and I decided to get chickens. We ordered the rare breed mix from mcmurray hatchery. Then we wanted to know what we had so I had to do a lot of research and learn about all the chicken breeds to find out what we had. We had a Dorking I named pterodactyl. We also had 2 polish roosters a silver and a gold I named him "Duke" after "The Duke" John Wayne. We had a Mille fleur d'uccle rooster named "tiny" he was funny he acted so tuff.
We had like 6 blue laced red wyandotte roosters, 1dominique hen, and like 14 Cochin hens.
It kinda sucked we got almost half roosters lol.
Of all of them we just fell in love with the Cochins.
the wyandottes were mean we had to keep them in there own pen.
That was in California now I have moved to Oklahoma and started a new flock about a year and a half ago I'm up to about 40 now including chicks I have 10 2 week old chicks from broody hens.

We have a Cochin rooster that runs/walks funny. Its almost like his hips or knees don't bend. Are Cochins prone to this type of issue or is he just a bum roo? He is a very big partridge Cochin maybe it's his size? He is not sick and does his job with the ladies but he's rough and awkward on them.
He came from McMurray and was the exotic chick in our meat bird box. He is a beautiful bird but I won't hatch any chicks from him if it's a genetic thing.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Check his knees and legs for range of movement. My rooster has a dislocated knee but he gets around and does his duty with his hens. I want to replace him but haven't found a blue yet.Will be sad to see h go but I want a male who can keep the big splash in line.

So I purchased my Mary Poopins at a feed store as a cochin pullet. Her comb is huge though! She's always the first everywhere, I guess I just want to ease my mind a little bit. Can anyone sex her for me? BTW, she's 3 months old.

Back
Top Bottom