Cochin Thread!!!

I mostly run a sweat shop hatching operation apparently. I make them hatch my turkey and large breed eggs, than remove them as they hatch to brood myself as I don't want them bonded to the bantam coop, or the bantams, because it's hard to keep them out of the coop later. I do let one or two bantam hatch a few bantam eggs, or this year hopefully one will take the bantams I have ordered.

I find it easier to wait until the whole bantam flock is broody, than I block the nestboxes to break everyone at once as opposed to breaking individuals like I do in my large breed flock. Usually once one goes broody everyone follows suit in a very short time.

Haven't been on in a long time. I only breed and exhibit Cochin Bantams. Interesting conversation about the breed. Cochins were never bred to be production birds. To my way of thinking all pullets must lay at least 75 eggs and each hen at least 50 to be of any use as breeders in my flock. Quality hens that lay live a long time here. Winter here in Iowa always shuts down production. I currently have 100 eggs in the incubator for fertility checks on each pen.

Last edited:

A couple of my Black Pullets and the pen of Silver Laced Cochin pullets I kept to breed and show this year. I have a page about my birds Craigs Cochins.

Last edited:
A couple of my Black Pullets and the pen of Silver Laced Cochin pullets I kept to breed and show this year. I have a page about my birds Craigs Cochins.
I love the blacks!! I'm not big on the laced versions of cochins, personally, but yours sure make me reconsider! Will see if I can find your page.

Laced Varieties of Cochins are in a rebuilding mode. I am getting better lacing on the pullets than I used to and a higher percentage of well laced birds. Now to keep the lacing and improve the type. I am doing some GL improvement also but not making as much progress yet. time will tell where we will end up.

Thank you for the comment on the Blacks. They are indeed worth liking

I think we have a roo... what do you think? The other one looks the same only smaller. I was hoping for a pullet
1f629.png

Last picture is chest feathers starting to come in.

Back
Top Bottom