Cochin Thread!!!

It's beginning to look like a major pillow fight out in my breed house. I found these on the floor a couple of minutes ago, and thought they'd be great examples of lacing - the good, the bad and the ugly. Excuse the tape on the ends - it's the only way it could get them to lay flat for the photo.

Left to Right: 1) Shafting; 2) Good Lacing - thin strip around the edge and nice wide middle, and if you look close, you can see the green sheen in the black edge; 3) Mossiness

Very good thinking Gail. Its easier to show someone a picture then explain exactly what you mean, instead of trying to explain something to someone and have them get the wrong visual or not understand you.
And I can relate to the coop looking like the aftermath of a feather pillow fight. Just within the past 3 days the Blue hen I have has dropped a ton of feathers. The rest of the coop looks like piles of snow drifted around things from all the white feathers. I have been waiting for the heat to leave (and the humidity) before I cleaned the coop out. Figured since I was adding on and revamping, I would just clean it out when I do that, so the entire coop will be clean.

~Casey

We are looking for a cochin bantam rooster, and live in SW Iowa.

My daughters have a red hen and a partridge hen (cochin bantams) and show them in 4-H. We have 3 separate coops, and also have Welsummers, Marans, Ameraucanas, and Olive Eggers. All of our chickens have names and are pets, though the eggs are a nice side effect!

Do any of you know of a good Cochin Bantam breeder in our area? We are 2 hours each from Kansas City, Omaha, and Des Moines.

Thanks!

Toni

We are looking for a cochin bantam rooster, and live in SW Iowa.

My daughters have a red hen and a partridge hen (cochin bantams) and show them in 4-H. We have 3 separate coops, and also have Welsummers, Marans, Ameraucanas, and Olive Eggers. All of our chickens have names and are pets, though the eggs are a nice side effect!

Do any of you know of a good Cochin Bantam breeder in our area? We are 2 hours each from Kansas City, Omaha, and Des Moines.

Thanks!

Toni

Annamay Carlson or ken & Bernita Miller in Missouri or the Churches in Nebraska are probably the closest.that raise good Cochins. I am 4
+ hours from you in Iowa. All of them are closer to you.
Craig

Thanks! I found contact information for Annamay and the Millers, but not the Churches. I'll try contacting all of them. We wouldn't mind driving 4 hours if the chickens were what my daughters were looking for, though. :)

Toni

I have had chickens for a long time, but I just recently got my first Cochins. I got a pair of Partridges and two blue hens. What will I get if I breed the partridge roo to my blue hens? I just put some eggs in the incubator so I will find out soon, but I want to know the possibilities.

I have had chickens for a long time, but I just recently got my first Cochins. I got a pair of Partridges and two blue hens. What will I get if I breed the partridge roo to my blue hens? I just put some eggs in the incubator so I will find out soon, but I want to know the possibilities.
i'm not positive, but something like this maybe? they're both blue partridge girls... Mandy could probably say more on what went into making these girls, since they were hers until this spring. (Thanks again!!!)

Quote:
I have been reading old posts and was intrigued by this comment about a foot defect involving the outer toe possibly being webbed to the middle toe. Does anyone have any pics ot that defect? Do you see other problems frequently cropping up in conjunction with this defect? I have seen problems like these in the first line of cochins I started with and would appreciate any information. Also I have mottled hatching eggs in the incubator now and have questions about that variety. I have seen some lovely blue mottled pictured in this thread, how far are they from being accepted by the APA/ABA? Can blue mottled be shown under other varieties? Thanks for any help.

Back
Top Bottom