Color genetics thread.

Pics
Naked Neck Easter Egger cross. I bred her myself.
No Legbars whatsoever. Not trying to offend anyone but I detest them, I don't like the floppy comb mostly, but I don't want that auto sexing barring in my stock. I do have regular barring and some orange barred that I'm trying to breed out.

If you noticed I post the best possible color for her and an answer from an expert on color genetics.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

No offense taken. What breeds produced your EE?

Can someone help me with a color question:

Can anyone tell me what Bresse cockerel crossed (WHITE bird)
with blue copper Marans hen ( from a BBS line) chicks look like?
I think I got a couple. Some popped up with copper spots on the head, but are colored blue or black.
I thought I took the boys out of their Marans "mom"'s pen before hatching

Last edited:

I think I got a couple. Some popped up with copper spots on the head, but are colored blue or black.

Breeding a white to a non-white is never predictable. White prevents colours from showing, even when they are genetically present, so every white could be hiding different colours/patterns.

Not sure how soon befoyegg collection you separated the female, but chickens have a specialized sperm pouch and can store viable sperm for several weeks. You should wait at least 3 weeks before incubating eggs after removing a rooster.. I wait a full calendar month.

As far as the chicks you've hatched, not enough information is given to predict offspring.

Breeding a white to a non-white is never predictable.  White prevents colours from showing, even when they are genetically present, so every white could be hiding different colours/patterns.

Not sure how soon befoyegg collection you separated the female, but chickens have a specialized sperm pouch and can store viable sperm for several weeks. You should wait at least 3 weeks before incubating eggs after removing a rooster.. I wait a full calendar month.

As far as the chicks you've hatched, not enough information is given to predict offspring.

Thank you for the input
Im pretty sure I have crosses here. Want to see how they turn out.
Ya I didn't wait 3 weeks. I figured the boys were young and the hens were still boss.
Then figured my older cockerel sperm would have pushed any other boys out after I separated them.
Guess not.

Is this a true crele?

It's not true crele but will end up looking sort of like one.

True crele are on a "clean" red duckwing- no other mutant genes other than barring. This chick has other genes that make his color darker.

True crele chicks hatch out with full chipmunk stripes.. Here's a picture:

Part of the problem with the name is it's very abused by many in the fancy, like the so called crele polish, orpingtons etc.. so there can be pictures of crele birds and chicks that look not quite the same or even completely different.. like a solid light brown with white on head.

It's not true crele but will end up looking sort of like one.

True crele are on a "clean" red duckwing- no other mutant genes other than barring. This chick has other genes that make his color darker.

True crele chicks hatch out with full chipmunk stripes.. Here's a picture:

Part of the problem with the name is it's very abused by many in the fancy, like the so called crele polish, orpingtons etc.. so there can be pictures of crele birds and chicks that look not quite the same or even completely different.. like a solid light brown with white on head.

That's very useful to know, thanks.
smile.png

Maybe they could call it something like Partial Crele, so that people knew which was being talked about.

Back
Top Bottom