Color genetics thread.

I've got third generation in the incubator, due to hatch in 3 days. I have yet to get a female with the right coloring, and a pea comb.
Cuckoo is technically the same gene. There is no recessive extended black. It's always dominant.

Does Red Barring exist? If it doesn't, how would one create a Red barred bird?
Yes there are some red barred birds. Rhode bars are a good example.

barred males can carry one or two barring genes and females can only carry one barring gene

I would suggest using the darkest red breed you can find a buckeye or rhode island red or red sussex would work the best. Do not know what skin color you want and with sussex you want to go with white skin color.

barred male x red female = all F1 offspring carry the barring gene males one barring gene and female offspring one barring

F1 barred male x red female = some F2 red barred males and some F2 red barred females you will have to hatch quite a few chicks - keep hatching until you get what you want

if you use a buckeye or a rhode island red - the chicks that are possibly barred will have whitish down. some will have whitish/reddish down and not be barred

this is what I produced from rhode island red- females are much lighter almost a dark buff
your first barred reds will not look like this

I first breed rhode island red that were very dark red- then used them to produce this male

The first barred reds you produce will look nothing like this- blotchy red and white and black

this is what you can produce- some of the brids on this web page look like the first males produced

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=rhodebar+chickens&t=h_&atb=v34-3b_&iax=1&ia=images

Last edited:
Hello! I am working on my lavender Orpington flock and bought some black Orpingtons for genetic diversity, when I went to pick them up I fell for the chicken below and bought her. She could have black, blue or chocolate (unknown if dun) parents. She looks too light to be true blue to me. And up close seems to have lacing colored brown. What is she? And how can I test in breeding with a lavender rooster?

Hello! I am working on my lavender Orpington flock and bought some black Orpingtons for genetic diversity, when I went to pick them up I fell for the chicken below and bought her. She could have black, blue or chocolate (unknown if dun) parents. She looks too light to be true blue to me. And up close seems to have lacing colored brown. What is she? And how can I test in breeding with a lavender rooster?
She appears to carry one blue allele- I agree she is blue. She can not be a sex-linked chocolate carrier because only males can carry sex-linked chocolate. This eliminates sex-linked chocolate. Her color is not correct for dun either or chocolate due to dun and modifiers. To get a chocolate bird with the dun allele- the bird has to have modifiers that produce some red pigments.

The blue allele causes the pigments granules in the feather cells to be unevenly spaced within in the different parts of the feather and in some parts of the feather lacking. The shape of the granules are round and each feather cell will contain a loose arrangement of black granules.

In black feathers cells, the rod-shaped granules are packed tightly inside the feather cells and found in every part of the feather. The expression of the blue allele is not the same in every feather and not the same in each bird. Some blues look almost like lavenders and others appear to be almost black. Evidently, there are genes that can modify the expression of the blue allele. (see pics below).

If the breeder you purchased your birds from is producing blacks and blues they would breed birds that are only black or hypostatic black. Their should not be any birds that express red in their plumage. Where the red is coming from- could be a lack of black intensifiers in the bird you have.

If you cross her with a lavender rooster, she will produce some blue and some black F1 offspring. Lavender is an autosomal (not sex-linked) recessive gene so in order for an offspring to express lavender, it must inherit one lavender gene from the mother and one lavender gene from the father. - all of the offspring will only inherit one lavender gene from the father. No lavender F1 offspring will be produced. This cross would be like crossing a black male with a blue female with respect to phenotype.

Every offspring will be a carrier of the lavender gene so if you back cross the black F1 females to the male lavender parent- some of the BC1 offspring will be lavender and other BC1 offspring will be black.

If you backcross a blue F1 female to the lavender male parent- the BC1 can be blue, black, lavender and mauve ( epistatic color due to the expression of both the blue allele and the lavender genes).

Both of the birds below are blue but they differ in depth of color.

This bird is different than the other two.

Last edited:
Hey, you know what? Just for fun, I've been trying to figure out how this would work. What colours do you guys think the offspring would be? It's like crossing a hinny and a mule I guess.

~Pot-8-os
Hinnies and mules are sterile, and the results of different species crossbreeding. Chickens are still chickens, regardless of breed. The roost is silver base color, carrying a gene for red. I'm assuming he inherited a barring gene. The mother is likely silver base color, no genes for red. I'm assuming she also inherited the barring gene. This means that any chick that hatches golden will be female. Also, any chick that does not develop barring is female. The rest of the chicks will be both silver and barred. Doesn't mean they are certainly males though, since the rooster has a copy of both those genes as well. The reason you get some sexlinking, is because he only has a single copy of each.

Back
Top Bottom