Colorado

Hiya houlesranch01 !!
welcome-byc.gif

There's a beautiful LF Light Brahma boy a few posts back that is needing a new home
big_smile.png

Quote:
Lordy, the irony.
roll.png
We just promised Tiny to a fellow up in the Greenland. Literally. We sent the email two hours ago. We're just waiting for when he can meet up next Friday/Saturday. I had no idea we'd get responces that quickly from Craigslist. He's just establishing a flock and wanted a roo to go with the 8 pullets he's raising.

There is a Buff Orpington rooster someone in Elizabeth is trying to re-home-- would you be interested? It's a few posts back-- about the time I introduced myself here for the first time.
On the matter of flock safety...

I'd like to hear from fellow Coloradans about their flock and what they do to keep them safe. My coop, with chickens, will be out of the garage in a few weeks and I'm quite concerned for their safety.

Thoughts, suggestions, experiences... all are welcomed. Perhaps I should look through some of the pages of this really long thread to gauge is anyone else has broached the subject but thought I'd re-kindle the discussion by asking here.

I live in Parker and the largest predator I see are coyotes. Hawks and birds-of-prey, I see more often though I'm not sure if at some point a full-grown chicken need not worry quite as much about a hawk... or perhaps they're always at risk? We have trees but we also have a lot of open sky and clear, flat areas.

I think for now, when the coop first goes outside with chicks inside, I will be keeping it close to the house. It isn't a long-term solution but neither hawk nor canine seem all too eager to be close to the house.

I'm not sure if at some point a full-grown chicken need not worry quite as much about a hawk... or perhaps they're always at risk?

They are ALWAYS at risk from hawks and owls. While a hawk cannot carry off a full grown large fowl, it can attack and rip it's head off. They go for the brains since they need the fat and the brain is an easy rich source. I use deer netting over the ducks run and that does work most of the time. We had a section get loose and didn't notice, but the local owl sure did. Lost 2 drakes to the darn thing.

Hawks got 2 hens a few year ago when we used to let the ducks wonder the back yard unsupervised. The hawks STILL stop by and check to see if the fluffy snacks are loose. Nothing will wake you up faster than seeing a falcon or a huge goshawk sitting on your lounge chair eyeballing your animals when you step outside to feed the flock. They think my preformed pond is a convenient watering hole.

I am in the burbs and there are houses everywhere. That doesn't stop the wildlife from a nearby open space from coming over to see if they can get an easy meal. They are not the least bit bothered by humans, domestic dogs, etc... For you, it is going to be worse, not better. At least I don't have to worry about coyotes.​

After a fox dug under and into the run of a coop and took 3 pullets last fall I started putting 2" x 3" wire fencing in the bottom of the coops I have. I don't usually let the chickens free range in the back yard unless I'm able to keep an eye on them or am out there myself doing chores and working in the garden.

My wife saw recently a hawk standing right outside the coop our FRs are in, then another day the hawk swooped at the hens when they were out.

-DB

Quote:
to be honest, and some people are going to probably hate me for this one, we just let ours free range. They watch for hawks on their own, and the roosters do a good job of getting the girls under cover and keeping them there. we (and the next door neighbors) have lost one or two to foxes, but that's partly because ours weren't getting closed up in a timely manner. Now that my inlaws help out with getting them closed up when it's getting dusk out, we lose none (unless one is stupid enough to hide out somewhere and gets taken during the night, we do have coyotes, foxes, skunks, hawks, owls and raccoons all out here
smile.png
) Of course, we are also in the process of building several hoop houses, but that's partly to keep certain breeds separated from the main backyard flock
smile.png
and the ducks will need their own coop
big_smile.png

Quote:
Mine free range when I am home. My worst predators are my husbands hunting dogs! Occasionaly I lose one to a fox but the hunting dogs in their kennels scare most predators away. I also lost some when we had workers at our house, the birds just conveniantly disappeared.

Hi all,
Yes i would be interested in a Buff, I will see if i can find that post:lol:

In regards to predators, since we live up here in the mountains we have a lot of coyotes and fox up here now. I also have goats too, 2 years ago we got a guard llama, and he is fantastic with alerting us to coyotes and fox, he has even killed a couple of them too. But if you live in or near city limits that is not a good idea. I know of some people that have electric fencing around parts of their coops that prevent predators from coming around, that might be an idea? Just a thought.
D.gif

Seems like I've been toying with danger. My 3 nine-week olds have been free ranging in our Lakewood backyard since about 5 weeks. I was thinking I had to worry if a bird of prey could take off with a chicken and never thought about them dining right in the back yard. I can't imagine them being in a run and not coming to visit me in my office window in the basement whenever they feel like it. Makes me want to net the entire yard. Boy, DH would probably draw the line there. He's been such a good sport with my recent chicken obsession and in making the coop etc.

Back
Top Bottom