Colors

Chickanmanfromarkansas

Songster
10 Years
Jan 18, 2010
There are threads on some of these already on but starting this new one because of ???'s.
Need advise from genetics experts. I have tried using the color calculator, but the names of the outcome are quite confusing to me.

Tolbrunt? Can I cross Golden Laced Wyandottes with Speckled Susex? I'm thinking this so the form of the Wyandotte will not be too far off. Other suggestions?

Lemon Blues? Cross brown red with blue. I'd like to try Cochins, but what breed has brown red in LF that would not be too far off what a cochin needs to look like?

Blue Columbian? Cross Blue Wyandottes with Columbian Wyandottes? Do I need to cross back to the columbian or the blue, or just breed offsrping together?

Can you tell I really like Wyandottes and Cochins?

Thanks in advance for replies.

I'm sure SOMEONE knows!
caf.gif

I'll take a stab at the blue columbian. Cross the solid blue to standard columbian, breed the resulting solid blue chicks back to columbian. This breeding should produce some blue columbian chicks. Once the blue columbian pattern is established you can continue to breed to standard black columbian, if of better type or size. When and if you are satisfied with the blue columbians, breed them together, if a truelly outstanding splash example is produced, breed it to the best black columbian to produce 100% blue columbian chicks.

Notice the emphasis on type, too often people get caught up in color, letting type suffer. Ending up with a pretty colored bird of generic build.

Quote:
If we are talking silver columbian, then how do you judge a splash one?
wink.png

Good point, I'm going mainly by type here, as it would basically be a white bird. I would have to trust the quality of the pattern based on it's parents.

Many Thanks for all the replies. Thanks HorseFeatherz NV for the bump.
I have decided to put this projest off for at least another year, have another project in mind that I want to give a go at. I will keep all posted on it when I get it to going.
Again thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom