Commerical Hen???

Alright I emailed a few judges and breeders here in California to see if they know anyone in Washington. In the mean time, check out the American Poultry Asociation and American Bantam Association. Are you 4-H, FFA or independent?

While production birds "can" be purebred, what is actually happening is hatcheries are throwing in birds that look alike without any care of overall conformation/type/color of the breeds they are throwing out there for their consumers. It is entirely possible to get a mixed breed bird from a hatchery. Sex-links are one such mix. People believe they can show them as a purebred as they simply do not know that two breeds went into creating the sex-linked product. Then there's the Easter Egger/ Ameraucana debate *facepalm*.

Anyway, a good way I have found is to look online for the breed you are after. Look at photos of birds that are being bred to the Standard of Perfection. Look at the name of the breeder, what area they are from and try to narrow down their contact information. Hopefully kschnetz will be able to get some good contacts for you.

kschnetz, who on earth is that yummy picture of? I might need to make that my background on my computer! Reminds me of Shane on "The Walking Dead."

I'm an Independent. Does that effect the judges outlook? It seems to me that the 4-Hs take home the big ribbons?
Alright I emailed a few judges and breeders here in California to see if they know anyone in Washington. In the mean time, check out the American Poultry Asociation and American Bantam Association. Are you 4-H, FFA or independent?

Last edited:
Well, the reason why 4-H and FFA usually do better is because of the leaders that teach the kids everything they need to know, and even help them find really good birds! In my experience a lot of 4-H and FFA leaders are also breeders, so the kids in their project already have a step up on the competition right there. Usually judges do not know who owns the bird the are judging (aside from showmanship of course), so I don't think its a prejudice against independents. You should look into a local 4-H club or FFA chapter, and at least talk to the leaders! They can give you a wealth of information on show birds. Hope this helps =)

Than
While production birds "can" be purebred, what is actually happening is hatcheries are throwing in birds that look alike without any care of overall conformation/type/color of the breeds they are throwing out there for their consumers. It is entirely possible to get a mixed breed bird from a hatchery. Sex-links are one such mix. People believe they can show them as a purebred as they simply do not know that two breeds went into creating the sex-linked product. Then there's the Easter Egger/ Ameraucana debate *facepalm*. 

Anyway, a good way I have found is to look online for the breed you are after. Look at photos of birds that are being bred to the Standard of Perfection. Look at the name of the breeder, what area they are from and try to narrow down their contact information. Hopefully kschnetz will be able to get some good contacts for you.

kschnetz, who on earth is that yummy picture of? I might need to make that my background on my computer! Reminds me of Shane on "The Walking Dead." 

Thank you for that information! I've understood that sex-links are mixed birds. But I always thought that when you buy a breed, ie... Barred Rock, Welsummer, RIR you were buying a pure-breed bird, maybe not the best, but a pure breed. So the Welsummer that I have has win two years in a row, once for BB and this year B.
Is she just a nicer hatchery bird, and if I buy from a nice feed store, could they be from local breeders? I guess I should ask them!
Lol
Thank you!!

At our county fair, they put, "Open Class" or 4-H on the pen for the judge to see. They do have a wealth of knowledge, but very competitive and don't like outsiders so much. It can be hard on the kids

Well, the reason why 4-H and FFA usually do better is because of the leaders that teach the kids everything they need to know, and even help them find really good birds! In my experience a lot of 4-H and FFA leaders are also breeders, so the kids in their project already have a step up on the competition right there. Usually judges do not know who owns the bird the are judging (aside from showmanship of course), so I don't think its a prejudice against independents. You should look into a local 4-H club or FFA chapter, and at least talk to the leaders! They can give you a wealth of information on show birds. Hope this helps =)
o

Than
Thank you for that information! I've understood that sex-links are mixed birds. But I always thought that when you buy a breed, ie... Barred Rock, Welsummer, RIR you were buying a pure-breed bird, maybe not the best, but a pure breed. So the Welsummer that I have has win two years in a row, once for BB and this year B.
Is she just a nicer hatchery bird, and if I buy from a nice feed store, could they be from local breeders? I guess I should ask them!
Lol
Thank you!!
In the case of most breeds, you generally are buying a pure-breed. Rhode Island Reds can sometimes be different, though, as many hatchery RIRs have New Hampshire Red/other breed ancestors. It just depends; some hatcheries care about keeping their breeding lines pure, and others just want egg production and sales.

Most hatcheries do not sell that show-quality of birds, so yes, your Welsummer is probably just a better than average quality hatchery bird. Most feed stores get their chicks from hatcheries, but others get theirs from local breeders. I suppose you'll just have to ask.

Do you have any photos to share of your birds? Its always so nice to see other peoples' chickens.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom