Commerical Hen???

At our county fair, they put, "Open Class" or 4-H on the pen for the judge to see. They do have a wealth of knowledge, but very competitive and don't like outsiders so much. It can be hard on the kids
o
Wow that is so wrong! It is supposed to be all anonymous. That is sad that you are not welcomed by your local 4-H and FFA!! Around here I would kick some butt if you were treated that way
sad.png

I've put some pictures up. Let me know what you think...
In the case of most breeds, you generally are buying a pure-breed. Rhode Island Reds can sometimes be different, though, as many hatchery RIRs have New Hampshire Red/other breed ancestors. It just depends; some hatcheries care about keeping their breeding lines pure, and others just want egg production and sales. Most hatcheries do not sell that show-quality of birds, so yes, your Welsummer is probably just a better than average quality hatchery bird. Most feed stores get their chicks from hatcheries, but others get theirs from local breeders. I suppose you'll just have to ask. Do you have any photos to share of your birds? Its always so nice to see other peoples' chickens.
smile.png

I've put some pictures up. Let me know what you think...
Your birds do look pretty good, especially for hatchery chickens. They have good color, and nice type, too. I'm not a Welsummer breeder, though (I do show chicken, and know a thing or two about many breeds), so my opinion isn't the best. But I think that if you could get another good Welsummer cock, you could produce some pretty nice birds from your current Welsummers.

Yeah, I can understand why the judge tagged it that, to be very honest. By commercial, the judge recognizes that the bird is a utility laying strain that has been bred for common sale. A bird like that would be an excellent layer, too good of layer for the breed, to be very honest. How did they get that strain to lay so much? Therein lies your answer.

Last edited:
Wow!!! Are those Barred Rocks? those are beautiful birds. If that is what they are suppose yo look like, no wonder! Thank you! Wow
Yeah, I can understand why the judge tagged it that, to be very honest. By commercial, the judge recognizes that the bird is a utility laying strain that has been bred for common sale. A bird like that would be an excellent layer, too good of layer for the breed, to be very honest. How did they get that strain to lay so much? Therein lies your answer.

Back
Top Bottom