Consolidated Kansas

Thank you. I hope it won't mess things up to have not given the penicillin last night. I think I will give it to her right away and then change the daily time to now instead of evening. I'm also going to try to find a non-prescription topical similar to silver sulfadiazine.

You can buy colloidal silver in a liquid that does about the same thing as silver sulfadiazine. I personally use oregano oil as my go to to treat any wounds. It burns (humans any way ) but the effects are worth it. She has got to get some nutrition or she won't live regardless of what you do.
Poor chicken.

Hello folks, I think I'm losing the battle with my fly-struck chicken.
Here is a photo from mid-day yesterday (about the same today). She is eating a little on her own now, which is good. I'm still giving her water/electrolytes by dropper as well as nutridrench. Finished three more days penicillin yesterday. Her poop is still green. She is alert and on her feet most of the time. But, this picture shows a light greyish colored area at the right of the wound that wasn't like that before. I don't think it looks good. The reddish color is residue from the betadine.
At this point I think I'm going to continue what I'm doing and hope for the best. If she takes a turn for the worst I'll have her put down. Thanks for all the help and advice.
P1030442.JPG

No that doesn't look great but it doesn't look awful. Is there any exude coming from the wound now? Does the wound still stink? If the smell is gone and there is nothing draining, then it's time to sew her up. If there is still obvious infection then it isn't. The fact that she is eating is great. I'm sure she needs some probiotics to get her system functioning again. You can use any probiotics, animal or human. Probios is a brand that makes some for animals. I've used cattle, horse, goat, and human probiotics and they all work fine. Even the ones you would take yourself would help.

Thank you. I don't this there is any smell now, but I have a bad cold (on top of everything:(). There are probiotics in the electrolytes I've been putting in her water. I've also mixed in a little yogurt with the food at times.
I've noticed also that the edges of the wound, especially at the top in the photo are attached whereas before there was separation from the substrate (not sure what to call it, but the part that looks like "insides").

Sounds like you are really making progress. Never give up until they take their last breath. A bird that survives this kind of trauma and has the will to live is a keeper for sure.

Thanks to those following this and helping. Especially for continuing to look at graphic photos. Here's the latest. The green arrow is pointing to her vent. The blue circled area is a sort of crust that is raised up from her skin. The yellow area (roughly) is the part that is still open. The red arrow is pointing to an area that to me looks like her intestines with a hole in it. The goo above the yellow circle is the remainder of antibiotic ointment. I keep finding her poop (still green pesto-like stuff) attached in the yellow/blue areas which is what makes me think that there is a hole and that those are her intestines. I don't see how she could survive this, but she is eating and stands much of the time and clucks at me. Thoughts?
P1030447_LI.jpg

Interesting. I can't believe she could survive with a hole in her intestines unless it is strictly leaking to the outside. If I believed that were the case I'd be attempting to dry it and super glue it shut.
The stuff in the blue circle is healing. That crust will eventually dry up and fall off and she will have new skin under neath it. Just let it happen on it's on and don't try to remove it.
The green poo would by my biggest concern cause it indicates bile and possible liver problems. Antibiotics can cause that to some extent.
If I were going to supplement to help support her liver I would give her some vitamine E with selenium as well as some milk thistle. I think that would help return her poop to normal color.

I have to share a little with people I know. I finally found out an article was published in the new June /July issue of Backyard Poultry Magazine. It's about Breda fowl and features a couple pictures from my flock and a quote from me. If you don't buy the magazine you can read the article by going to https://backyardpoultry.iamcountryside.com
You have to sign up, which doesn't cost anything or obligate you in any way. Once you get signed up and signed in you go to the Members only area, and click on Magazines. Then you can read that current issue. The article starts on page 74. It's supposed to be on the Countryside network site as well but it isn't there yet.

Last May I purchased 5 Gray Slate Turkey pullets, at a local swap meet, that were less than a week old. They were all the same color, light grey. I saved three of the five, two hens and one tom. I took pictures of them (pardon their wet feathers, as it rained 4 inches last night) and the 20 pullets, that I removed from an incubator, this morning. The pullets are multi-colored. Six appear to be black Spanish, several white, like Royal palms would be, and some various shades of gray. I do have Royal Palm and Narragansett , but they are completely separated. I know that Gray Slates are a cross, but I din not know that this mixture would happen, if the tom and hens were related. They may not be, as the 5 I got last May, were out of a group of 100 or more.
Turkey hatch 2019.JPG
gray slate tom.JPG
gray slate hen 01.JPG
gray slate hen.JPG
gray slate tom.JPG
gray slate hen 01.JPG
gray slate hen.JPG

Back
Top Bottom