Consolidated Kansas

I always had chickens when I lived on a farm up in Camden Point, Missouri. Then found out I could have chickens here in Shawnee, so 3 years ago I bought chicks and we designed and built a coup. Love having them. They are seriously spoiled.
Did just have an incident where 2 pit bulls knocked down our gate while we weren’t home and killed 4 of my 8 girls. So after a lot of tears,,, I bought some new chicks and I’m having a blast with them, although my 4 girls are not impressed lol. Of course chicks are in the house and the fluffy butts are not. I hate adding to an established flock such a pain. So this is the first chicks in 3 years. Older girls are
Buff Orphington
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Rhode Island Red
Red Sex Link

03616E00-5F76-47A0-97BF-A30FE7B6A658.jpeg

Red, Blue Laced Wyandotte and Lavender Orphington also added a couple of Sapphire Gems

@Posh Flock those are cuties for sure! I hatch a lot of chicks every year, but it just doesn't get old seeing those little fluffy butts. I raise the English Lavender Orpingtons & love them. I also raise the BLRW. You can see by my signature line I have way too many, lol. I may have to cut down my numbers later this summer, but for now I'm hoping to get some chick orders soon. It seems like everyone right now wants grown hens & I'm not selling any of my breeding birds at the moment.

I think the easiest way to integrate new birds in is wait till they're close to laying age or till they're close in size to the original birds in the coop. There is always a little fussing, but I haven't found it to be too bad.

@Posh Flock those are cuties for sure! I hatch a lot of chicks every year, but it just doesn't get old seeing those little fluffy butts. I raise the English Lavender Orpingtons & love them. I also raise the BLRW. You can see by my signature line I have way too many, lol. I may have to cut down my numbers later this summer, but for now I'm hoping to get some chick orders soon. It seems like everyone right now wants grown hens & I'm not selling any of my breeding birds at the moment.

I think the easiest way to integrate new birds in is wait till they're close to laying age or till they're close in size to the original birds in the coop. There is always a little fussing, but I haven't found it to be too bad.

Yes, I have a system where I can just split the coop. Young ones will be on one side and have a separate outdoor run from the 4 older girls... But I still hate all the aggravation it starts lol... Nice having the babies right now with everything going on in the world they are a great distraction. Only bad thing is not having the grand babies over to play with them.

Just looked at you website OMG if I had the room I’d be doing the same thing your doing. Lol Chicken math will not work in Shawnee...

Welcome @Posh Flock . BYC isn't notifying me of posts. Every once in a while that happens. I too have a huge flock. My website is also in the signature line. I've been getting a few orders but like Trish every one is asking for adult hens.
My method of adding flock members is this: If those birds are on the other half of the coop they should get used to each other over time. If you can I would let them all out when they chicks are older and let them free range in your yard together with you watching them of course. Doing this they should be more used to each other then letting them in together is a piece of cake.

Back
Top Bottom