Consolidated Kansas

I"m gonna go back and read the last couple pages in a bit, but wanted to get up the pic of both baby chicks: She's still sitting on the other two eggs. Dunno if they are gonna hatch though or not. I love listening to mama talk to her babies! I was thinking about it - How smart chickens are that if at a day old they can understand a "language"!!!!!

I don't know about adding compost into the coop... maybe if you had a cement floor and wasn't worried about rotting your floor out. That might be a better idea. I have a wood floor with vinyl over it--- I'm not going to be trying that method out! LOL But if you give it a try, keep us updated on how it turns out, I'd be interested.
Good point. I do have a concrete floor for my coop so I don't have to worry about rotting. I went ahead and dumped a half a coffee can in there. It consisted of some cut up avocado peels, banana peels, coffee grounds, tea leaves and the stem of a living lettuce. Oh - and some cut up turkey I had been going to give them anyway. They looked at me like I was nuts and exited the coop. Several hours later, I had to go and do some work on the coop and, as they always do, they followed me in, discovered this "treasure" pile and went to town on it. Having the turkey mixed in helped to get their interest, but in a short time, you couldn't even tell where I had put the compost. I'm sure they didn't eat it all, but what didn't get eaten got scratched in, in the efforts to find things that were edible. So, I might try it again.

We composted in Wichita. Haven't been as good about it here but I will get back into it when we get moved. I don't know about dumping the compost pail in with the girls. It would make me nervous. There were often things in our compost bin that could taint egg flavor like onions or things they shouldn't eat that are toxic according to the "list" like potato peels. If you do it let me know how it goes. I would be afraid the "wet" would be yucky in your coop but beats me!

Lucie had her 8 week post op x rays the other day. Sigh. She is doing ok but not as well as we were hoping. Her left leg is healing well but her right leg was the one that was really just shattered mid femorally. They placed bone fragments in the space but it appears that they dislodged because they aren't there anymore. They were supposed to help form a bone graft but now there is just a space that is 1 1/2 inches wide and only metal is holding her leg together. Now she has to have 4 more weeks of cage rest and leash walking AFTER getting a sedative so she doesn't bounce like tigger the whole way outside. So we shall see. I have decided to add some vitamins, fish oil and cottage cheese and yogurt to add some calcium to her diet to see if we can't encourage bone healing.
I've always left anything to do with onions out of the compost because I always heard they don't compost so well, since even the bacteria don't like their strong flavor too much, so I will probably continue to leave them out, since I know the chickens won't eat them. We also never have potato peels in our compost because I'm too lazy to peel my potatoes LOL. We just eat them skin on, and even when I'm making mashed potatoes, I leave the skin on. My family has grown to prefer them that way and this Thanksgiving when I was tasked with making mashed potatoes, my mother-in-law was a little uncertain about the idea, but afterwards told us how much she had enjoyed the mashed potatoes with the skins.

I'm so sorry to hear that Lucie's check up results weren't as good as you were hoping. I am certain no one would have done as well with her over the past 8 weeks as you have so it is just plain bad luck that it isn't healing as it should. Hopefully the next four weeks will see a turn around.

I"m gonna go back and read the last couple pages in a bit, but wanted to get up the pic of both baby chicks: She's still sitting on the other two eggs. Dunno if they are gonna hatch though or not. I love listening to mama talk to her babies! I was thinking about it - How smart chickens are that if at a day old they can understand a "language"!!!!!

Adorable. The language part was what amazed me with my first broody too. First that the hen knows this whole "chick" language and second, that the chicks understand it from hatch. One time I was outside and my hen started peering up at the sky. Suddenly she issued an alert and all 7 chicks instantly ran to take cover and then froze in the corner they had chosen, until Mama Hen gave the all clear. I had never heard her make that sound before, but the chicks understood what it meant and reacted instantly (Mama Hen had seen a bird circling up high and felt her babies were in danger).

Yeah, mine are just for fun right now, too! It's something I might get into later on down the road. But right now, I'm content with just breeding silkies. You said your Polish was 7 weeks, right? Well, they don't get in a crest until they are nearly mature. But I can already tell that the vault on the bird is a bit on the low side and the crest even at that age should be engulfing more of the head-- even with pin feathers. I'm guessing your bird might be a cross between a silver laced and a white crested... somehow you ended up with a mottled bird. Very interesting color, none the less! Actually, mottle is a color that is being worked on with Polish, but I don't know how far along in generation they are.
This is a Silver laced polish rooster: Silver laced Sebright
images
images

Anyway, the pattern for lacing is very distinct should look like this:
410381770_7XNGf-L.jpg

THIS is a mottled: (see the difference?) But this is a Houdan, not a Polish.
MottledHoudanPullet.jpg

My opinion of your little Mohawk is that you have a very adorable little bird on your hands, but so far, looks to be a pet quality right now. But don't tell him that!!!
wink.png
I was thinnking that, I just wasnt sure. I have silver laced wyandottes so I see the difference I just wasnt sure if it may take awhile to grow in. Ok so she could still be a mix?

Oh, I almost forgot to post a picture of the bird I've seen several times in the yard today. Again, I think this is a bird that was planted by the neighbors to be hunted and has taken cover on our place. I believe this is a chukar, which is a kind of bird I'd never heard of prior to discovering them in the yard this time last year.

They are fun and if they are healthy have more meat than quail. Can't raise them with quail or chickens because of their red legs & bill, they will peck at the red non stop.

Well I don't have any white polish. The silver laced polish you pictured, Hawkeye, looks identical to mine. So I am guessing that possibly it is mixed. However, I do have a blue/charcoal polish that was hanging in the same coop with two silver laced roos. It is possible that it could be an offspring from them. I am not sure how this blue/charcoal got it's particular coloring. I am sure the mother was blue but I sold the blue /chocolate male I had so one of the other roos had to be the father. I'm thinking if this blue/charcoal was a product of a silver laced roo and the blue hen. And then if she was bred back to a silver laced roo you might have ended up with a strange pattern. However, the silver laced and gold laced babies don't have their laced pattern for a few months. They start off looking very much like a black and blue polish. She may not be totally feathered in yet. I did have a silver roo without a beard though so that could very well be the father.
None of these birds were expected to be purebred except the larger black cochin roo and the smaller black cochin. They were all from barnyard eggs so I'm tickled that Maidenwolf is happy with them.
This year she can get some nice pure bred birds from me.
Tweety your chicks are so cute.
I agree Josie it is unusual to get sick with the flu shot. I'm just an odd duck. I have also had shingles numerous times and most people only get them once. (Let me tell you once is more than enough!!!) I had german measles several times as well. I've been pretty sickly most of my life. I've just learned to sidestep as much illness as I can and the flu shot has been a life saver for me. There for several years I had the flu numerous times which went into pneumonia a couple times a year. I had the pneumonia shot and get the flu shot every year and haven't had pneumonia again.
I nearly died from pneumonia one time following the flu, so I have no question about how important it is to take whatever precaution is available.
Hawkeye if it makes you feel better both of my girls did the hair cut thing. And my oldest son cut my middle sons hair clear to the scalp in a couple places. I had to shave his sweet little toddler curly head. Be sure to take a picture of her awful hair cut. When she has a kid that cuts their hair you can show her the picture. LOL

Sorry I have been missing, life has been crazy!

Does anyone have white eggs or silkie eggs available? I haven't decided if I am going to do the NYD hatch. A pm would be best for this chatty thread. :)

So sweet!!!! Such a good mommy.

Keep us posted on the compost project. We stopped putting some stuff in our compost but we use so many onions I couldn't throw the skin and peels in the trash. It eventually went away in there but we had a HUGE mound that would heat up like crazy and I just kept dumping into it and turning it. We do make mashed potatoes with the peels sometimes but I like them without too. We were having so much trouble with skunks here getting into the pallet compost pile and I wasn't good enough about our trash can composters so we sort of fell off the bandwagon.

My dad always talks about when he was a kid and they lived in Massachusetts the city had compost bins in the sidewalk and you would dump your compostables into the "bin" in the side walk and keep it covered with a metal lid. He always talks about how bad it would smell in the summer because they only came and sucked it out twice a month!
Good point. I do have a concrete floor for my coop so I don't have to worry about rotting. I went ahead and dumped a half a coffee can in there. It consisted of some cut up avocado peels, banana peels, coffee grounds, tea leaves and the stem of a living lettuce. Oh - and some cut up turkey I had been going to give them anyway. They looked at me like I was nuts and exited the coop. Several hours later, I had to go and do some work on the coop and, as they always do, they followed me in, discovered this "treasure" pile and went to town on it. Having the turkey mixed in helped to get their interest, but in a short time, you couldn't even tell where I had put the compost. I'm sure they didn't eat it all, but what didn't get eaten got scratched in, in the efforts to find things that were edible. So, I might try it again.

I've always left anything to do with onions out of the compost because I always heard they don't compost so well, since even the bacteria don't like their strong flavor too much, so I will probably continue to leave them out, since I know the chickens won't eat them. We also never have potato peels in our compost because I'm too lazy to peel my potatoes LOL. We just eat them skin on, and even when I'm making mashed potatoes, I leave the skin on. My family has grown to prefer them that way and this Thanksgiving when I was tasked with making mashed potatoes, my mother-in-law was a little uncertain about the idea, but afterwards told us how much she had enjoyed the mashed potatoes with the skins.

I'm so sorry to hear that Lucie's check up results weren't as good as you were hoping. I am certain no one would have done as well with her over the past 8 weeks as you have so it is just plain bad luck that it isn't healing as it should. Hopefully the next four weeks will see a turn around.

Yuck. That does not sound like fun at all!! I didn't know they had a pneumonia shot!
I agree Josie it is unusual to get sick with the flu shot. I'm just an odd duck. I have also had shingles numerous times and most people only get them once. (Let me tell you once is more than enough!!!) I had german measles several times as well. I've been pretty sickly most of my life. I've just learned to sidestep as much illness as I can and the flu shot has been a life saver for me. There for several years I had the flu numerous times which went into pneumonia a couple times a year. I had the pneumonia shot and get the flu shot every year and haven't had pneumonia again.
I nearly died from pneumonia one time following the flu, so I have no question about how important it is to take whatever precaution is available.
Hawkeye if it makes you feel better both of my girls did the hair cut thing. And my oldest son cut my middle sons hair clear to the scalp in a couple places. I had to shave his sweet little toddler curly head. Be sure to take a picture of her awful hair cut. When she has a kid that cuts their hair you can show her the picture. LOL
Well I feel like a giant tool. I was gone on Wednesday all day and when I got home there was a post it on the door that read "Your horse is out." SO I freaked and ran out to the pasture and they were all there. I figured that maybe Sprinkles, the naughty pony, got out the gate and let himself back in because if I don't latch it just right he can squeeze out or in! When I was out walking Lucie one of the neighbors stopped by on her way to town to let me know my big walker was loose and that the guy across the street from her caught him and put him back in the pasture. Oops! How embarassing. She said he walked right out into the road when she stopped her car and stuck his head in her car for a pat. She thought he was just the sweetest thing but I was mortified that he was in the road and her car!!! So I thanked her profusely and baked some cookies and thanked the guy across the street for catching him and putting him back. Silly horse.

10 am and I hear a tap tap tap tap on the door. We have visitors! Turkeys are so much fun!! The hen was interested in the cat food, the jakes were interested in the hen. When my son gets home from school he honks the horn and they gobble, fun for the whole family.

Tweety,
Cute chicks! When I first looked at the picture I thought the hen was a cat, very fluffy!

I wouldn't put compost in the coop. I do put compost in the compost pile and they stir it up. I put BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) in the coop, keeps them busy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom