Consolidated Kansas

I also only use my cell phone only as a phone. I rarely use it to take photos. I use the desk-top  because it allows me to set down and relax. As I worked for the USPS the last 20 years of my working days, I am use to being on my feet for long periods  of time. I bought a pair of Salmon Faverolles and as I walked past all the other pens to my quarantine pen, they all went nuts. The Faverolles were not making a sound. I have never seen them so disturbed. I have eight different breeds of chickens. and a group that free-range, along with Two pair of African Geese , Numerous Muscovy ducks, Peafowl and guineas; this is the first time I've seen them that upset. Somehow they sensed they are different.

I love my salmon Faverolle. They are sweet and calm. The hens always talk to me when I was there to feed them or give them treats. They are also the roosters favorite so their backs are a bit bare as well.

I also only use my cell phone only as a phone. I rarely use it to take photos. I use the desk-top because it allows me to set down and relax. As I worked for the USPS the last 20 years of my working days, I am use to being on my feet for long periods of time. I bought a pair of Salmon Faverolles and as I walked past all the other pens to my quarantine pen, they all went nuts. The Faverolles were not making a sound. I have never seen them so disturbed. I have eight different breeds of chickens. and a group that free-range, along with Two pair of African Geese , Numerous Muscovy ducks, Peafowl and guineas; this is the first time I've seen them that upset. Somehow they sensed they are different.
Ralph that is a bit strange. Faverolles were my favorite breed for a long long time. The roosters are so gorgeous and they are about the calmest birds I've ever owned. I just sold them because I had to downsize and a lot of people just weren't interested in the chicks.
I just set 5 more trays of eggs. I am sure glad I'm going to stop hatching!!! These were all birds I couldn't afford not to hatch if that makes any sense. My other birds' eggs are going into the eating eggs as bad as I hate to do that. I desperately need a break.

Welcome! We are definitely the chicken family. My husband doesn't understand my chicken obsession but everyone here does.
big_smile.png

Yup tweety, we sure do understand that obsession here, lol! And not only chickens but other fowl as well ducks, peafowl, & geese. Speaking of that I just got the cutest little Sebastabol goslings today from Danz. We made a trip today up to pickup our two ewe lambs & we weren't very far from Danz & stopped on our way back to deliver some ducklings to her & pick up the goslings & some chicks of course. My DH thinks I'm totally nuts since we can't go anywhere without bringing back a bird or animal when we go. I hadn't told him till this morning that we were stopping at Danz's place on the way back & when I did his only comment was I figured as much.

We got home with the lambs & they had gotten the poops on the way home & pooped all down the inside of the car door. Needless to say, my DH was not happy with me & I set to cleaning it up as soon as I got all of the birds & animals settled in. Our truck is too old to drive it very far & these lambs were 2 hours & 15 minutes away from us, so we had no choice but to take the car. DH says he's buying me a truck next time.

I don't like to use my phone for the internet either unless I have to, the screen is just too small & I hate to admit it but I can't see it without my reading glasses. I prefer to use my desktop computer too, it's just easier to use than the tablet or laptop. I will use the tablet if we're out of town, I even used it when we went to Italy because the hotel we stayed in had free wifi, but it's just easier to take than the laptop, much less bulk & weight.

I don't have my Faverolles now either I sold my breeding stock, but I really liked them. They were the calmest, friendliest birds. I just couldn't seem to sell the chicks that well, so I chose to sell the adults. They never made a fuss with any other birds around them & I even had two roosters in the pen & they never fought once.

I hope everyone enjoy the holiday. Want to thank all the veterans and military personnel for their sacrifises.

Trish, I still have the Salmon Faverolle that I got from you. I think I'll continue to keep a few because I just love how calm and friendly they are. The rooster is awesome and he protects and leads the flick well. Do you plan to eat tiger lambs or just keep them to help clear the pasture?

Ah, the Sebbie goslings... that's on my list of must have. I need to really look at my flock situation once I'm back in town in July and see if I can get a pair.

The board is slow lately. Maybe everyone is enjoying the holiday. I heard that the lake was full until the storm came through. Speaking of storm, we had about 2" of rain this last 2 days. Everything seemed to have greened up nicely. We still need more though but it's definitely a nice start.

Time to go get more stuff done around the house. I still have 1 morenpot of orchid to repot. I just can't find a time when it doesn't bloom so I can repot them so I'll just have to do it even when it's blooming. I also repotted an Adenium after the blooms dropped off. This is the first time it has bloomed since I started it from seed. I'm quite happy to see it bloomed so soon. It normally takes 4 to 5 years for seed started plants to bloom.

I have another question about my goose. If you remember, I asked a question about one of my embden geese that had hurt herself about a month ago. AT that time, she had lost a bunch of feathers and was limping. Well, this same goose is limping on the same leg again this morning. She's limping so badly that she isn't keeping up with the rest of the flock and is hanging out by herself in another portion of the yard.

I picked her up again this morning and looked at her. I don't see anything visibly wrong with her, EXCEPT that her legs look very pale in color compared to how they should look. She also has big chunks of skin peeling off on her good leg. The new skin underneath is the pale color. Is this something to worry about? I don't remember having seen the skin peel on another bird. It is almost like a sunburn, but I didn't think birds could get sunburns on their legs... The skin that is peeling is dry, like sunburned skin would be, but it is a pretty thick layer of skin, compared to the skin that peels off of me when I sunburn anyway.

Input please!!!

I will be spending my day setting up what will be the pen for the geese when they get older. They will get to free range some, but only when we are out there (which is a lot), and when we are not they will have a nice large pen. Inside the pen, we are setting up an A frame shelter. The back part will be enclosed on three sides to offer shelter if they should want it and the front part will be wire so they can have an outside area and still be safe. The A frame is where we will herd them at night. That is of course, after they grow up some.

I think the problem with faverolles is if someone has never seen them or noticed their personality they just aren't that well known. I think the roosters are the most gorgeous birds and the hens are pretty plain. I love the contrast between the males and the females though.
Enjoyed the visit Trish. We got a big storm about an hour after you left. My brother said it rained really hard in Winfield. He said it looked like a hurricane with all the wind and stuff. Since he has been on the North Carolina coast for the last 30 years I am sure that is all he can relate to.
My son and his wife are house shopping in Wichita right now. He called yesterday and they found a house they loved that was at the very top of their price range. It had only been on the market two days. They put in an offer and got beat out the same day. I told him there must be something better in store for them. I do hope they find a house soon. They are living in a motel right now since they closed on the sale of their house this week.

Lizzy I honestly have no idea what might be wrong with your goose. I've never heard of symptoms like that. Since there has been a drought out there you might try adding some niacin to their feed. It is essential for joint health in geese. I have no idea what else might be going on. I would just buy the cheapest supplement capsules and sprinkle it on their feed. Brewers yeast is also another great source of niacin but it usually comes in pill form. You might be able to order a bottle of loose stuff on the internet though.
If JosieChick would jump on here she might know. You might send her a PM and see what she says.

I hope everyone is doing good. I've been doing tons of things outside. I didn't put cover on pool for winter and I'm paying for it. I've been working on it everyday and I can finally see my work paying off. I guess I didn't lock my Cochin coop last might and lost a hen
1f622.png
. All I found was a ton of feathers leading out to the pasture. Not sure what got her

I have another question about my goose.  If you remember, I asked a question about one of my embden geese that had hurt herself about a month ago.   AT that time, she had lost a bunch of feathers and was limping.  Well, this same goose is limping on the same leg again this morning.  She's limping so badly that she isn't keeping up with the rest of the flock and is hanging out by herself in another portion of the yard.

I picked her up again this morning and looked at her.  I don't see anything visibly wrong with her, EXCEPT that her legs look very pale in color compared to how they should look.  She also has big chunks of skin peeling off on her good leg.  The new skin underneath is the pale color.  Is this something to worry about?  I don't remember having seen the skin peel on another bird.  It is almost like a sunburn, but I didn't think birds could get sunburns on their legs...  The skin that is peeling is dry, like sunburned skin would be, but it is a pretty thick layer of skin, compared to the skin that peels off of me when I sunburn anyway.

Input please!!!

Lizzy, I have not a clue on the goose leg issue. The last time I had an issue with my duck's leg I gave niacin to him and he recovered. Hope you are able to save it.

Back
Top Bottom