Consolidated Kansas

I still have broodies too. I keep taking eggs and they keep pecking and growling. I do have one nest that I am letting about three broodies share. I've gotten lax about collecting eggs the last few days cause I haven't felt good. I am lucky to get my chores done without finding myself back in here sitting in front of the computer to get rested up again. It's kind of muddy out but just on the surface. Just enough to constantly get tracked into the house!!!

Everybody must have gotten busy all of the sudden. I haven't seen this thread so dead for awhile. I have had a busy week myself, I had to make two trips to Wichita this week & it sure has cut into my time to get anything done here. I've got to get back to my projects now & get going on them. It feels like fall out there & that makes me anxious to get things done.

I have started moving some of my young birds to the pens they belong in from the growout pen. I moved 3 pullets last evening to the main coop as well for layers. I'm still waiting on the young guineas to give their calls so I can tell males from females. I'm keeping all of the females & will probably sell most of the males because I have several running around outside to eat ticks & bugs & only about 3 in the pen. I needed more females to provide eggs to hatch so I've been putting young females in the pen as soon as I can sex them. I had to buy more guinea eggs this year to hatch for people so I hope to not have to do that next year. Hopefully with the new ones added I will have enough.

I haven't seen any chicks hatch yet from the broody hens sitting, still waiting to see what they hatch. I have the chicks spoken for from the New Hamp hen that is sitting if she hatches some. She is a very fierce momma so getting the chicks away from her will be fun.

Hey, all! We've had a busy week with home school starting. My oldest daughter started Monday, and my oldest son started today. Most of the week, however, I spent conferencing with their virtual teachers from Maize and getting all the technology working for the school year. They switched our online platform up this year for the K-8 program, so it's all new. We're figuring it out though.

We lost another chicken. Our sweet PBR that we bought from Danz that we nursed with vitamins died Thursday morning sometime. Again, I just walked in the coop and found a dead one.
sad.png
She and the littlest chick we bought from Danz (a partridge brahma) were two peas in a pod. The poor little partridge brahma was hiding under the broody breaker pen, unsure how to function without her friend.

On a funny note, though, Rocky Rooster spent the last night outside on accident. The window beside my bed (which is usually closed with the shades down), was open with the shades up this morning. My husband woke me when he was leaving for work around 5:30 or 6, so I was looking out the window, when I saw an owl fly up and sit atop the farm light pole in the corner of the yard. I watched from my bed, as the owl would leave the post and then come back and perch. I was kind of watching through my brain fog to make sure that owl didn't fly in one of the open coop windows. I finally shut my eyes again and snoozed until I heard chicken clucks. I got up and looked out at the chickens. The girls were all clucking around inside of the run, except for Rocky. He was running around the perimeter, frantically trying to find a way back in. It was 6:30, and no one, save for my husband, is ever up that early. I got up and checked the kids' beds, to find my youngest son not in his. I went back to the window, and there was Dawson, barefoot and wearing nothing but his boxer briefs, trying to herd Rocky Rooster back into the run. I watched the show, and he finally got him back in. I came around and met him at the front door. I asked him what had happened. He said he got up early and went downstairs to watch TV, since no one else was awake. He was sitting o the couch with the cat, when Rocky Rooster fell out of the air and landed in front of one of our view-out windows in the basement. He said it frightened him AND the cat. He then went out to try to get him back in the run. Like a wise young man, he said, "The reason I let the other girls out is so he would get interested in going back in the run. It worked. When he saw the girls, he wanted back in! As soon as he got back in the run, he went straight back in the coop! I guess that was enough freedom for Rocky Rooster for one night!

In other news, my run netting is supposed to get here Monday. I am looking forward to chickens staying in the run!

Hi!! I'm new to BYC and to raising chickens. Some of my neighbors have chickens so i ordered some because ive wanted some for a while, BUT my dad brought to my attention about the city ordinances and i don't want to go to the city and ask just in case the answer is no (ive already ordered mine and i don't want to cause my neighbors to have to give theirs up). How should i go about my chicks.. because they're on their way already... I live in Galena, KS (Southeast Corner) and i cant find ANYTHING about the city's ordinances or laws about owning chickens. If anyone could help that would be so awesome!

Hi!! I'm new to BYC and to raising chickens. Some of my neighbors have chickens so i ordered some because ive wanted some for a while, BUT my dad brought to my attention about the city ordinances and i don't want to go to the city and ask just in case the answer is no (ive already ordered mine and i don't want to cause my neighbors to have to give theirs up). How should i go about my chicks.. because they're on their way already... I live in Galena, KS (Southeast Corner) and i cant find ANYTHING about the city's ordinances or laws about owning chickens. If anyone could help that would be so awesome!
If you are on speaking terms with your neighbors, you might ask them.

You could also ask at the city offices for a copy of the ordinances concerning animals in the city limits. Maybe a phone call from a phone (not yours, I would say, since there is caller ID).

I understand your concerns about kicking that sleeping dog (so's to speak), but you really need to know.

Welcome to BYC & the Consolidated Kansas thread! I agree with sharol, you need to find out exactly what the ordinances are in your town. It would be better to find out now than later after you get attached to the chickens & then have heartbreak over having to give them up. Some towns allow them but have limits on how many or how many with a permit & others don't allow them at all in the city limits.

We got rain last night & again this morning. It's nice to have rain once in awhile but it's stalling my painting that I really need to get done.

I moved 3 of my pullets that I had in the growout pen to the main coop night before last & last night didn't go too bad. One was hanging out outside of the run, she knew that's where she needed to go but was intimidated by all of the grown hens. I coaxed her in fairly easily & then had to go find the other two. As usual they were hanging out by the growout pen. I opened the pen door & one ran in there so I had to catch her with the net & then the other one came close enough I just grabbed her & I carried both back up to the coop & put them in. Hopefully they will learn fairly quickly where home is now. The other young ones I have put in breeding pens are doing OK. In my Wheaten Ameraucana pen I have one young pullet that when I come in to feed & I bend over to put the feed in the trough she jumps on my back. I have never had a chicken do that before.

I don't know about Galena, but I do know Columbus has an ordinance that prohibits poultry inside the city limits. I see poultry advertised on Craigslist with a Galina address, but they may be outside the city limits. Most towns prohibit roosters but some do allow a few hens, if kept so that they don't create a nuisance in the neighborhood. I live in the far northwest corner of Cherokee County and have no close neighbors. It is a good thing, because I do have some noise- makers.
big_smile.png

It's frustrating when you can't find information on the internet in this day and age, particularly public government information, but I haven't been able to find anything about Galena's ordinances either. If you are worried that asking a city official will open a can of worms if it turns out keeping chickens in the city limits is prohibited, then I suggest going to the public library and asking the librarian if they have a copy of the Code of the City of Galena, Kansas. It's a looseleaf collection of the local ordinances that should be continually updated. I would hope that Galena's own library would have a copy. If not, there is a copy in the Kansas Supreme Court library, but Topeka is a long way to go and so you would probably better off asking a city official in that case.

I'm looking for a splash Marans roo. If anyone has anything. Young or older and proven is fine. :). I'm in central KS near Chapman. (Fort Riley)

I buy my netting from 3T Products too. If you are going to stretch it very far it should have some support like these guide ropes I use. A non-stretching rope, wire rope, or clothes line wire will work fine although the wire is difficult to work with.

I also use it for dividers between the pens.

Of concern to me is the snow load, that is why I use the two inch as the one inch can hold heavy wet snow and collapse.

Back
Top Bottom