Consolidated Kansas

Quote:
Renee (ChooksChick) has silkies and lives in Lawrence. :) It wouldn't be much drive time for you.

Quote:
Oh boy, Tweety, I know someone right there in Lawrence that might be able to hook you up. How's THAT for enabling?

Giggle.. I was hoping to hear that! :) Might have to have a real talk with DH when we get off work...

Danz, you are funny! I am so not bringing my daughter....We would never leave and when we did it would be with more than just the Speckled Sussexes.

Pikeman, maybe you'll be suckered into taking a few chicks home with you when you come this weekend. then you can get more practice integrating birds!
big_smile.png

Josie the ducks have never been messed with. It will just take them a while to trust you.

Is it ok to have bantams with large breeds in the same coop?

It should be fine. If they are raised together, they will be okay. :)

Giggle.. I was hoping to hear that! :) Might have to have a real talk with DH when we get off work...

She is the "Thread Starter" so you can find her if you go to the first page. Don't PM her, her box is always full. But I believe if you click on her Profile, you can find her email addy that way, and just get ahold of her that way. :)

Hi folks. I'm back! I mentioned back about 300 or so pages that I would be having some lumber available. I posted an ad for trade in the 1-8 week old chicks section.

I'm ready to start building my flock and well, it's all in the ad. If you are needing lumber and have chicks you want to trade (in SE KS), check out the ad. Thanks!

Hi!

You guys are impossible to keep up with!!

Verna, I'm so sorry about your mom. I'm still praying for you all.

Susie, glad to hear you're doing well, and I'm sorry about the little dog and all of your losses!!

Everyone else, I skimmed and enjoyed all of the pics, and I'll catch up later.

Here are some of my egg pictures:
This one is day 6
This one is day 8, one of my 'hopeless' eggs
Day 6
Day 6
Day 8, another 'hopeless'...I think this one looks promising, not sure.
Yet another Day 8, looks interesting with that divit there. What's that all about?
Day 8. This one is hopeless; all clear. The black spots are dirt.
THIS day 8 shows promise! Look at that veining! And I see movement inside!!!
Another day 8 showing some veining and movement ^_^

What does anyone else think? Normal? Bad, Good? Wish I could've gotten better pictures :/

If you candle from above, you'll be able to see the veining better where it is present, and the light won't have to travel through the yolk, so it'll give you a better image.

Sometimes it's better on the side.

Chestnut Ridge posted a ton at different stages on the Eater Hatchalong thread.

Trish-They look lavender to me. I haven't hatched any of the black/lavender cross, and I wonder if that is why they start out darker. I will be hatching some of those later on.

What a long day. I'm exhausted. We just got back. I'm so frustrated with the Dr's office here I could just scream. All I needed was some more of my pain medicine for my knee. Come on, folks. I just had a total knee replacement and it hurts. I won't go into all the details, but they wouldn't assure me that they could get the prescription written today so that I could take it to the pharmacy, so I ended up driving to Topeka to get it. Fortunately I was able to go ahead and get my post op visit that was scheduled for Friday done today so I won't have to make an extra trip on Friday.

We picked up a John Deere hay mower that we bought, and we had to get a couple things at the farm store, so we stopped at Orscheln's in Topeka. They had LOTS of chicks and ducks. They were out of turkey poults, but were pretty sure they would be getting more. Yes, I made it out of there without buying any, but only because I've got so many already here at home.

Pikeman, REALLY?? You would deny your daughter a chance to twist your arm?
I had a long day too. It was very hard to visit Mom and Dad because I just felt like crying. I went and did a little shopping for my Dad and took my Mom's orchid so I could give it some individual attention. Maybe with luck I can get it to bloom for her. I'm sure it hasn't been cared for for a while. I got my eggs delivered for the week and sold 5 dozen to a new customer to boot.
I think I'm going to have to run to Topeka tomorrow cause I'm about out of dog food.
I told DH how exhausted I was when I got home and said I need more of me. He said, "No you don't! You'd just take on that many more projects and we'd have that many more that would never get done."He's probably right. It was 6:30 before I even got all my feeding and watering done.
I had two chicks hatch under two different broodies today. One was in the Serama house and the other was in the garage where my layers are. I let a Pheonix hen sit on a batch of half Serama eggs just because I was going to toss them otherwise. I had to take both chicks because they were both where they wouldn't survive. There was at least one more egg pipped out there too.
One of these days maybe I can just let those Mama hens sit all they want.

She is the "Thread Starter" so you can find her if you go to the first page. Don't PM her, her box is always full. But I believe if you click on her Profile, you can find her email addy that way, and just get ahold of her that way. :)

Yeah thanks :), I've actually got her cell#, so when we are ready I'll just give her a buzz. We've talked on the phone before when I was just getting started. She's such a wealth of information about the area and chick supplies and such!

We picked up a John Deere hay mower that we bought, and we had to get a couple things at the farm store, so we stopped at Orscheln's in Topeka. They had LOTS of chicks and ducks. They were out of turkey poults, but were pretty sure they would be getting more. Yes, I made it out of there without buying any, but only because I've got so many already here at home.
Good for you! It's so hard for me to look at the chicks when I'm there. I hate seeing ones with pasty butt. I just want to fix them.

Tonight will be the last night for Quackers in the seclusion pen. We'll let her out tomorrow after work and see how it goes. I was so excited to see that the three ducks were actually using their duck house for the first time tonight when I went to lock everyone down! Yay! The chicks tend to hide in there during the day, so I was scared that the ducks would never take to it. They were all cuddled up in there and sleeping! The chicks are actually starting to put themselves to bed as well! two of them were already on the roost and the other two were out in the pen doing the "I'm lost" chirp till we just picked them up and put them on the ramp. They went right up! I think they are finally getting used to the routine. I've heard that routine is the best with these birds, so I'm trying really hard to stick with it. I think they are all starting to recognize the treat bucket as well. LOL. That didn't take long at all! I really hope that it doesn't rain as much and as hard as they say it's going to thru next tuesday. I'm rather liking going out to the pen and reading for a bit after work. It's nice and relaxing.

Back
Top Bottom