Coop Build for my daughter

They assume a right that they do not truly have.

A group of neighbors has no more right to decide that someone else's aesthetic preferences are invalid than an individual does.
that’s like saying a state has no more right to decide what’s legal than a person does.

HOAs are a touch more than a group of cranky neighbors.

there is an ass for every seat and a seat for every ass out there, so to each their own, which is what makes the world go round.

Technically the windows should be mounted to the framing and then you run your siding up to it. Along with prior application of Tyvec and flashing.

However, you should keep in mind what you're building. Its not for humans and there's no building inspector coming around.

I'm in the middle of a coop build myself using T-111 siding and I'll be installing my windows after the fact. Trim and silicone will keep it plenty dry. I've done it many times before.

If you want to build a "to code" structure meant for people than I can guide you in that direction, but its absolutely not necessary.
I don't need to follow code at all, I am just a single mom with no construction experience trying to build this coop for my daughter's chickens. Everything I have learned so far has been from this forum and YouTube. I choose these windows because I like the look of them and I plan to use hardware cloth on the inside for predators. If you could share how you are installing your windows with the T-111 siding that would be great! I am assuming I can just attach them to the studs with some silicone caulk and nails, put the siding in the groove, and top it off with trim boards? My biggest concern is water seeping in and rotting the walls but I really have no idea what I am doing.

Thanks!

that’s like saying a state has no more right to decide what’s legal than a person does.

HOAs are a touch more than a group of cranky neighbors.

The question is,

Who OWNS the property?

I choose these windows because I like the look of them

:)

I agree that for a person who claims no building experience you're doing a great job.

The question is,

Who OWNS the property?
well, in an overwhelming majority of instances, the bank does.

but it’s not as simple as “my property, my rules”

when you buy into a community, you buy into their rules. you can’t buy a house and force your will on an existing community.

if you don’t like that, don’t buy there.

I don't need to follow code at all, I am just a single mom with no construction experience trying to build this coop for my daughter's chickens. Everything I have learned so far has been from this forum and YouTube. I choose these windows because I like the look of them and I plan to use hardware cloth on the inside for predators. If you could share how you are installing your windows with the T-111 siding that would be great! I am assuming I can just attach them to the studs with some silicone caulk and nails, put the siding in the groove, and top it off with trim boards? My biggest concern is water seeping in and rotting the walls but I really have no idea what I am doing.

Thanks!

I've already run my siding. My windows won't be here until next week so it'll be weekend after next before I could show you what I'm doing with pictures.

But basically I'm nailing them to the outside of the siding. I'll use silicone under the flanges and then put trim around the windows with more silicone.

In your case you could nail the windows to the framing and then run your siding, but it will be a little more work to cut the siding around the window.

You can follow my build here https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/raptor-chickens-coop-build-starts.1551234/

I've already run my siding. My windows won't be here until next week so it'll be weekend after next before I could show you what I'm doing with pictures.

But basically I'm nailing them to the outside of the siding. I'll use silicone under the flanges and then put trim around the windows with more silicone.

In your case you could nail the windows to the framing and then run your siding, but it will be a little more work to cut the siding around the window.

You can follow my build here https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/raptor-chickens-coop-build-starts.1551234/
Are there pros and cons to installing them onto the framing or onto the siding other than the extra work of cutting the siding?

I checked out your build thread and really like your design!

I agree that for a person who claims no building experience you're doing a great job.
I'm a software engineer that spends my days at a computer. I had an addition added on to my house a few years ago as a small apartment for my mother. I watched my contractor very closely and asked so many questions he was probably sick of me, but it did give me a basic understanding of how a building goes together. Taking that head knowledge and adding it to all I have read here on various coop build threads, plus YouTube videos, has helped me build what you see in this thread. I don't like to think about the entire project, but instead each small step, otherwise it is overwhelming! That said, I am already thinking about building a little garden shed for my Mom's garden tools when the coop is done!

The question is,

Who OWNS the property?

well, in an overwhelming majority of instances, the bank does.

but it’s not as simple as “my property, my rules”

when you buy into a community, you buy into their rules. you can’t buy a house and force your will on an existing community.

if you don’t like that, don’t buy there.
Would you two please take your debate(argument) offline so as not to monopolize the thread.

Back
Top Bottom