Coop Critique - Am I ready for my first winter?

ChickaBob

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2022
Southern Ontario
Hi everyone. Just looking for some advice on whether i should get set up to have some heat in the coop for winter. I really don't want to buy a heater and run extension cords across my lawn. If i going to do something i might burry some conduit and run a plug out there. But a lot of work. But thats the kind of guy I am lol.

I know you people like all the info before you make your remarks so here I go! (PS my design came from all the info gathered from this site! It took me weeks of research and q and a's, but i think i nailed it in the end)

1) I live in southern Ontario. There are a few days of -20c but i would say -8c to -15c is the range on average.

2) I have 4 girls. Coop dimensions are roughly 4' x3'.

3) Top ventilation on the back and front and a 14"x14" pop door on the bottom.

4) Nesting box and lid, walls and roof all have R7 foam board insulation in them and besides the ventilation it is very tight and no drafts.

5) I am attempting the deep littler method although I only have 5.5" deep (2x6 around pop door so it doesn't spill over)

And just FYI, the free range all day. The bottom area is just for a bit of space before i get up and let them out.

Attached is the picture.

Thanks everyone!

thumbnail_IMG_2955.jpeg

There are a few days of -20c but i would say -8c to -15c is the range on average.

i should get set up to have some heat in the coop for winter.
No heat needed, except for maybe a heated waterer.

And just FYI, the free range all day. The bottom area is just for a bit of space before i get up and let them out.
They may not range much if the snow is too deep.

I live in southern Ontario.
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1667070794535.png

Thanks for the tip on the region.

So no need to worry about the -20c days and frost bite? Between the insulation and deep litter and size/tightness they will be ok?

What temperature would you say you need to start worrying?

I am near the Ontario Quebec border somewhat north of you. Average temperatures in winter - 15C to - 20C, days to a week or so in the low - 30Cs.

I do not heat my coop, focus your attention on ventilation (your pictures seem to show good ventilation up high). Watch the walls for any frost buildup, if you get any you need to increase ventilation.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I know you people like all the info before you make your remarks so here I go!

You're awesome, lol.
The only thing I would think about if I were you might be a covered area outside the coop for bad weather days. Like a run, but since they free range, it would be open on the sides to just provide some sheltered space to stretch their legs and flap their wings.

Then again, I just realized when I picture Canada it looks like a scene from "The Day After Tomorrow" movie. So maybe irl they will be just fine bouncing through the snow like little arctic hares.

It doesn't snow like it used too thats for sure (insert walking up hill both ways in s snow storm comment)

You just gave me a great idea though. I might just take a sheet of ply wood and run it over the top exposed area out past the door and put a couple legs on it like a veranda. That way i won't have to shovel the door open or give them a non snow area.

Thanks again!

Good job on your design.

They will eat the insulation if they can get at it. This silky is jumping up to take another bite (it is not my coop - it is one I visited.)

If you haven't covered the insulation with something they can't eat, you might want to either cover it or take it out. I live in the same climate as you and can assure you, their feathers are good insulation. My coop is uninsulated and they came through last winter with no frost damage; ventilation, feed, and water are much more important.

Edit to add... if you have silky- or frizzle- feathered chickens, then I don't know how suitable they are for cold weather. Other than they are less suitable than if they have typical feathers.

Attachments

• 269AA8BC-C0DA-4F82-9CD0-D1A5AF99D22F.jpeg
    269AA8BC-C0DA-4F82-9CD0-D1A5AF99D22F.jpeg
    486.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom