coop from tractor supply

It would stay cooler than you'd think. It's a solid material (wooden) and they'd only go in it at nightfall and to lay an egg. I'm in Mississippi and we too get those awful triple digit summers and all the coops stay nice and cool, even the ones with metal roofs on them (go figure). The dog house would be no different than any other coop in your area just smaller than the typical coop, the dog house is practically the same as a coop you were looking at in many ways. In the summer I make sure my girls have shade, cool water and I choose to set up a box fan that blows into their run.

How does it work when the weather isn't too great and they stay in all day? I'd think with the coop I'm asking about they'd have a more covered little area to come out in if they're not able to go in the run.

I am using a Precision Pet Hen House coop from TS. I have had it now for a year and it's been exposed to everything- ice, rain, heat, snow, and wicked winds. I cannot see the one you are looking at from the link- it won't work for me. Mine has held up well for a prefab coop. The wood is thin and soft so you have to be careful around it. I did add better locks. The roof for the coop and the nesting box is getting a little warped. I've been pretty pleased with it so far. I think I paid $179 for it and then $79 for the expansion pen. I am currently turning an old potting shed into a bigger coop, because my 2 chickens have now turned into 2 chickens, 4 chicks, and 7 eggs in the incubator. I should have gone bigger- chicken math!

Is it this one?

I was just searching for some questions on it too.

It has 2 inside roosting bars that sit a few inches above a removable poop tray and 3 nesting boxes inside. The boxes are right were that small window is. It also has 2 roosting bars in the fart par of the pen enclosed by the hardware cloth but not the coop proper. Since the coop is definitely too small for more than 2 grown hens despite the "6-8 chicken" rating, the PVC represents the frame of a 5'x10' run/tractor for them to use in the day once they are imprinted on the coop/pen. *Note: In my area the chickens must always been confined in a coop or run, and I cannot build a permanent installation. The winter temps are rarely below 20... as in maybe 3-5 days a year.

My question pertains to the layout and how my new hens are functioning (4 Gold Laced Wyandottes, currently 10 weeks) in it, which may help the OP as well. They want to sleep in the outer roosting bars, which is more ventilated, and doesn't involve pooping on a tray 4" below their sleeping stations. This is the biggest design flaw, which I didnt understand fully until I actually had birds in the cage... 6 months of research doesnt teach you everything!

Given just the one small window I don't want to lock them in the coop proper with all the poop and the entrance to the coop proper for a week to train them. I have moved the food and water into the coop proper where the nesting boxes will be to make sure they explore that area (to be moved back out after a few days once they figure out what the ladder goes to), but do I really need them to sleep in there? I have added 8" of chicken wire on the ground around the perimeter of the coop/pen to discourage diggers. I know we have possums and a couple falcons in the area, but have not seen the other predators in the immediate area.

Having them sleep inside the coop will be nice if you ever have inclement weather blow through during the nighttime hours. If they're outside the coop, they will not be able to see to get into it. Just encourage them to go in at dusk using treats, or lift them onto the inside roosts if it is already dark. Chickens are creatures of habit, so once they get it into their heads that they need to go in the coop when the sun is going down, they will continue to do so.

I just want to update that my dad has been working on a coop (home made) and it's currently made like Fort Knox. It will not be falling apart anytime soon. I've also had my little chicks since Sunday. The hardest part will be choosing the 4 to keep out of the 8 I picked out (friend said to grab 8-10 as many chicks die). So far everyone is great
1f609.png

I just want to update that my dad has been working on a coop (home made) and it's currently made like Fort Knox. It will not be falling apart anytime soon. I've also had my little chicks since Sunday. The hardest part will be choosing the 4 to keep out of the 8 I picked out (friend said to grab 8-10 as many chicks die). So far everyone is great
1f609.png
Under your excellent care!
Maybe you'd better keep all 8?
Exciting news about your new coop. Post pics when you can.
caf.gif

The coop is fairly small. Built for only 4 chickens so I don't see us being able to keep all 8. Plus I do think one might be a roo.... No roos allowed.

He's worked on it more since I've taken pictures. I'll have to go see how much he's gotten done.

The coop is fairly small. Built for only 4 chickens so I don't see us being able to keep all 8. Plus I do think one might be a roo.... No roos allowed.
Good point.
Your 4 chickens will spend as much time as they can outside of the coop, and only use it to sleep in, or to lay eggs.
If you add a decent sized secure run with a roof (plastic patio roofing is fine), they'll be out there, or free ranging if they are permitted.
You can even make the run more usable on windy/rainy/snowy days by covering the bad weather sides with a clear tarp or plastic.

Being outside makes them happy.

Back
Top Bottom