County Fair in the mornings...

We are in week 2 of fair season here. DD is showing her Jersey cows in Open classes, her stepson is a second year 4H'r. DD got Jr Champion Jersey:) DS's stepdaughter got Grand Champion Milking SHorthorn cow WOO HOO!! Cow is leased from local farm but she has cared for it since it's a baby.DH didn't win anything with his Marans eggs, but there is another fair next week and he will try again there. I miss the fairs. I was a 4H dairy leader for 15 yrs and as one of the non-farm moms, I was official club chaperone overnights on the fairgrounds. Slept many many nights on the straw behind the cows, sometimes waking up to a warm breath from a loose cow investigating us. One week in Harrisburg Farm Complex, I slept cuddled next to a very preggy jersey and we both woke up every time one of us shifted position! She was a sweetie. Our club had a rule that whichever mom was there was in charge of making sure all kids tended the animals properly and kept order. I wasn't too popular... but the animals were clean and the aisles were swept! Chickens are not common exhibits since the avian flu many years ago. Many fairs stopped the avian displays and never started them up again. (frown.. I think my "enter" key has died.) our favorite fair was last week but none of the family entered that one-- three weeks of fairs are just too much to handle. We went to walk around and enjoy the sights and get some peaches and ice cream. Got chased home when a storm came up and they told every one to go home. That fair always has good Saturday night entertainment of the old school. Davy Jones, Herman's Hermits, Paul Revere.... all for the price of admission.
Even with AG declines in our area we still have one of the largest fairs, I just wish they would get more local music acts or some acts on their way up or older groups that are known but not as popular as entertainers to get more people to come to the fair, plus we have added another building for fowl but unfortunately we had swine flu break out both swine and humans came down with it.

Back
Top Bottom