Coyote or Wolf

Check the size of the prints in the snow...a coyote has small prints and a wolf print is about the size of a mans hand.
I'd say coyote...spray apple cider vineagar around your property..run a radio and haze it loudly..be careful if its a she tote with pups...they are more aggressive.

There will be no pups with her in tote they will be giving birth mid march to April maybe later in colder climates.

Wolves will kill anything that moves if they have the opportunity and especially coyotes, fox, and dogs. Wolf packs will stake out a territory and mark it and defend it from competitors and trespassers which is what they consider these other canines. You see it all the time here in MT. Once the wolves move in coyotes, etc. disappear. Wolves have killed many Lion hunting dogs here and it is a very gruesome site. They hone in on them if they come into the wolfs territory chasing a lion and kill every one of them. Wolves kill just to kill. So I don't ever see where a wolf will breed with a coyote, dog, etc. in the wild, even a lone wolf. A lone wolf that has left a pack will be out looking to start another pack and stake new territory and the first thing they will do in their new territory is kill or run off their competitors(coyotes, etc.). I believe this "coywolf" thing is just a big coyote or a domestic hybrid let run wild. Coyotes differ greatly in appearance and genetics all over the U.S.
I trapped a big black female wolf in February this year using only coyote urine as the attractant. A trapper from Alaska told me he uses even domestic dog urine to attract them and it works because they consider any canine as a trespasser and competitor invading their territory and are going to hone in on them and remove them from their area.

Hi All,
I live a little West of Denver (3 miles) and there is a huge coyote roaming my neighborhood. I'm sure he can smell my 6 six chickens (seeing as there is poop everywhere and they are just starting to lay...very noisy). Any suggestions to ward him away would be awesome. I called Denver wildlife control and hopefully they can find and relocate him but in the meantime, I'm losing sleep about losing my babies. Also, If I keep them pinned up, they are more noisy... so still letting them roam at this time but if the coyote wanted in, he sure could find a way in the yard.

Thanks in advance.
Urban Farmer,
C

Very unlikely that you have Wolves in your area. These days they are mostly in Alaska, Canada, and in places such as Montana, Idaho, and parts of Michigan and Wisconsin. I believe they have introduced some into protected park ranges in Arizona and New Mexico. In Indiana they have a small pack up north within a confined range area..... Coyotes are pretty prevalent.

There's no reason you couldn't see one in upstate NY along the Canadian and Vermont borders - I don't think there are currently any breeding packs in the states, but there are some just over the border, and they wander down as far as Mass. That being said, coyotes in the northeast are really common, and quite a bit larger than the coyotes in the west - there's been a lot of interbreeding between the coyotes and what's left of the red wolves and eastern wolves. The Eastern Wolf has a bunch of coyote DNA, and the eastern coyote has a bunch of wolf dna. So, yeah, probably a coyote, but that doesn't mean as much over here.

They showed a "coywolf" next to a western coyote. It was a notable difference. the coyotes I've seen in Southern Illinois over the past 20 years look a lot larger, furrier than what I ran into in California at Camp Pendleton in the late 70s. It would also explain why their behavior is different now. Perhaps I saw more of them out at Pendleton because I was sleeping outside a lot of the time?
big_smile.png

If you watch the video they give a fairly good explanation of how and why these cowolves have spread over most of the Midwest and eastern US + eastern Canada.

thanks.
This whole argument (on both sides) is just a misunderstanding of what a 'species' is, and how the term as described in middle school doesn't really exist.

From a strict fertility standpoint, wolves, dogs, and coyotes can all interbreed freely and produce fertile offspring, so from that perspective, they're all the same species.

From a evolutionary biology perspective, Timberwolves typically don't breed with Western Coyotes (they typically kill and eat them), so they're different species - the problem is that Timberwolves will breed with Eastern Wolves, which will breed freely with Red Wolves and Eastern Coyotes, and Red Wolves and Eastern Coyotes will freely breed with the smaller Western Coyotes - so while the populations are somewhat distinct, they're not completely distinct. It also doesn't help that we've drastically altered the populations of each group up and down at some point, and broken a lot of the barriers.

This is all a continuum.

The populations have probably shifted a bit and you're seeing more of the Eastern Coyote (C. Latrans 'var') than the western (C. Latrans)

that is 100 percent coyote

a wolf a grey wolf is a beast and are very very very rare to see one is like one in a billion chance

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom