Coyote or Wolf

coywolves are coyotes and eastern (red wolf) mix they still arent the real grey wolves people think about

eastern wolf is not a true wolf people say its more like a coyote or red wolf or brush wolf

the grey wolves are way up north or found far from people they cant co exist near us

u can see them in yellow stone

coywolves are all over the city living in ravines but they still arent very formitable the biggest ive heard one weighed wasl ike 45 pounds, they look huge but they aren't as powerful as a large dog. A true grey wolf could probably even kill my CO's. Coywolves run from anything that shows aggression. But they love small dogs and cats.

I think in the last 400 years coywolves have killed one person these were fed by people.

joke a real grey wolf will never mate with a coyote it will eat a coyote in seconds. Grey wolves hate coyotes. BUT eastern wolves like the algonquin brush wolf which are red wolves will mate with coyotes.

Grey wolves dispise coyotes.

Last edited:
I don't believe wolves live around me but I have heard people say they do. I live near Plattsburgh, NY. I had to bring my son to his hockey game right after I took this picture and it started snowing so the tracks were covered in snow by the time we got home.
There are no wolves in NY. The coyotes however tend to be bigger in the northeast due to the supposed breeding with wolves in Central Canada, hence why some people refer to them as "coywolves."

Looks like a coyote to me. Not to change the subject but when I lived in North Texas (about 40mi South of Oklahoma) we had grey wolves, eventhough, the wildlife officals said they were extinct in our area. Had big hay field that backed up to the East Fork of the Trinity river. The wolves would sit on a hill at the West side of the field and wait for rabbits to run out while I was cutting the hay. Also, had Red Wolves, another wolf they said does not exist in Texas. The Reds look similar to coyotes but have a very red patch on top of their head between it's ears and weigh about 60 pounds. A coyote in that area weighs around 35 to 45 lbs. So, I guess there could be wolves that migrated South from Canada into upstate New York or further into New England states, coyotes and wolves are very resourceful animals. I've seen coyotes in downtown Dallas.

Last edited:
Looks like a coyote to me. Not to change the subject but when I lived in North Texas (about 40mi South of Oklahoma) we had grey wolves, eventhough, the wildlife officals said they were extinct in our area. Had big hay field that backed up to the East Fork of the Trinity river. The wolves would sit on a hill at the West side of the field and wait for rabbits to run out while I was cutting the hay. Also, had Red Wolves, another wolf they said does not exist in Texas. The Reds look similar to coyotes but have a very red patch on top of their head between it's ears and weigh about 60 pounds. A coyote in that area weighs around 35 to 45 lbs. So, I guess there could be wolves that migrated South from Canada into upstate New York or further into New England states, coyotes and wolves are very resourceful animals. I've seen coyotes in downtown Dallas.

Maybe you saw a gray wolf in Texas, though I'll remain skeptical until someone provides photo evidence, but there is absolutely nothing that indicates there is an established breeding population there. Red wolves are nearly extinct, with only an estimated few dozen left in the wild (mostly on the eastern seaboard), though I suppose with how big Texas is, it's possible there are a few individuals left in that state as well. I think it's increasingly likely that the few remaining red wolves left in the wild have interbred with coyotes which basically means the species will become genetically irrelevant very shortly.

Likewise for NY, there might be transient wolves who traveled from Canada, but there is absolutely no evidence to support the idea of an established breeding population. What is supported is that gray wolves (and eastern wolves, depending on if you view them as a separate species) are mating with coyote in Central Canada, forming a hybrid species which then mates with other coyotes...the genetic offspring of that breeding has gradually made its way east and south into eastern Canada and the northeastern US. Hence why the coyotes we see here in the northeast are generally-speaking a bit bigger and somewhat more aggressive (there are many examples of them taking down full-sized deer) than the coyote that exist out west.

This is an interesting discussion. I thought I'd revive it for the sake of learning more. I've never heard of coywolves before. Here in Northern California a wolf or two were spotted this past year. A mating pair were introduced in Oregon, I think, in the last few years. Someone in a neighboring town said they saw a wolf earlier this year.

I knew someone once in Alaska whose dog was a mixed wolf but mostly wolf, which I believe was illegal at such a high percentage like that. He growled at me once and my friend had to jump on him to keep me safe. It was terrifying.

Here I've only ever seen coyotes. Last night we had a howling pack of coyote pups on our land not far from the chicken coop. The creek down back is filling with water. That's probably where they were heading.

Back
Top Bottom