Cream Legbars

I am picking up 2 Female Crested Cream Legbar's tomorrow! I hope all goes well, as my original blue egg layers Ameraucana Wheaton's turned out to be boys.So I'm trying a sex link bread to try and get blue egg laying hens. I am reading up the bread. Are they easy to integrate with other birds? I have Plymouth Barred Rock, Columbian Rock, Silkie, Show girls... and two Wheaton Ameraucana boys that I won't be able to keep.

My cream Legbars seem to get along with the other breeds I have, but they shine the most in relating to people. To me, they are like Leghorn in personality, super curious, into everything, but with a more friendly demeanor. They can still be flighty, but no more so than other breeds of the same type.

My cream Legbars seem to get along with the other breeds I have, but they shine the most in relating to people. To me, they are like Leghorn in personality, super curious, into everything, but with a more friendly demeanor. They can still be flighty, but no more so than other breeds of the same type.
My boy is super mello around humans a bit frisky at times with the girls but in general a great boy.
My girl is the smallest girl in the pen but full of personality she shys from contact at times and at others will demand to be perched on head shoulders what ever even climbing up your leg back to get there.

She wont be bullied by anyone but rarely starts anything. No one absolutely no one can deny her food or treats.

Thankyou for the reply! The chicks are up to two weeks old so hopefully they are still distinguishable between males and females.

I have 2 Cream Legbar hens now, I had 3 but one died suddenly of illness. The one I've had the longest acts pretty much like a Leghorn- she was not hand raised and it shows. The other 2 (including the one who died) were hand raised last year and though the one that died was shy, both were sweet. The other one is Goldie and she is our favorite of our entire flock (9 hens, and 22 juveniles). She is friendly, calm and will let us pick her up and even comes in the house to hang out. I thought recently we had lost her because she stopped coming home to roost. Turns out she went broody!! I did not expect that from a CL. She had stashed about 9 eggs into a pile of insulation that had been pulled out of the house we are remodeling. We thought that was not a safe space due to the insulation and exposure to predators so we moved her last night. I was able to candle the eggs and she had 2 clears and the rest developing, maybe 7-10 days along. She had kicked one of the clears out of the nest and it was cold. My husband picked her up and carried her to her new nest setup in one of our coops. On the way there an egg dropped out from under her. He was unaware that she was somehow carrying the egg underneath her for about 75 yards! Unfortunately it did have an embryo in it. She is staying on her new nest with 6 developing eggs. Not that we needed more - but if I were to want any from my flock at this point, I would want them from her, so it's cool.

SO...has anyone else had CLs go broody?? If so, were they good momma's? I hatched some of her babies a couple of months ago and gave them, along with some others to my brother. They, as well as these, are mixes with a Black Copper Marans rooster. At least 2 of my brother's have crests and they are pretty cool looking. They should lay greenish eggs and I believe this cross is sexlinked.

I have 2 Cream Legbar hens now, I had 3 but one died suddenly of illness. The one I've had the longest acts pretty much like a Leghorn- she was not hand raised and it shows. The other 2 (including the one who died) were hand raised last year and though the one that died was shy, both were sweet. The other one is Goldie and she is our favorite of our entire flock (9 hens, and 22 juveniles). She is friendly, calm and will let us pick her up and even comes in the house to hang out. I thought recently we had lost her because she stopped coming home to roost. Turns out she went broody!! I did not expect that from a CL. She had stashed about 9 eggs into a pile of insulation that had been pulled out of the house we are remodeling. We thought that was not a safe space due to the insulation and exposure to predators so we moved her last night. I was able to candle the eggs and she had 2 clears and the rest developing, maybe 7-10 days along. She had kicked one of the clears out of the nest and it was cold. My husband picked her up and carried her to her new nest setup in one of our coops. On the way there an egg dropped out from under her. He was unaware that she was somehow carrying the egg underneath her for about 75 yards! Unfortunately it did have an embryo in it. She is staying on her new nest with 6 developing eggs. Not that we needed more - but if I were to want any from my flock at this point, I would want them from her, so it's cool.

SO...has anyone else had CLs go broody?? If so, were they good momma's? I hatched some of her babies a couple of months ago and gave them, along with some others to my brother. They, as well as these, are mixes with a Black Copper Marans rooster. At least 2 of my brother's have crests and they are pretty cool looking. They should lay greenish eggs and I believe this cross is sexlinked.
Yes on broody CL.
It's said that if the hen's mother was a broody she is more likely to go broody, and that has been my experience. So the pullet-hatch that you get from your six would be more likely to be a broody CL than a pullet who didn't have a broody mother.

That being said -- it seems to be more of a one-time thing. They will go broody one time -- not annually or regularly like some breeds.

One that went broody was an outstanding mother! One had eggs from a different hen that was having shell problems - and she broke all the eggs. One was killed by raccoons the day after she hatched her chicks so the entire family was destroyed. - the one killed was a daughter to the first one to go broody.

Not only was the first one a good mother -- she insisted that her babies forage rather than rely on the chick feed. Tough love? Cream Legbars are a pretty remarkable forager...maaybe it depends on how they get started in life.

I've got one broody right now. I told her she's too late, and no more chicks unless she can hide her nest really well and I don't find it for a few days. A few years ago when I was pregnant and not patrolling the yard as much, I had 2 broody cream Legbar hens come trotting out with broods. I got 2 very lovely pullets( now great looking hens) from those hidden nests.

I've got one broody right now. I told her she's too late, and no more chicks unless she can hide her nest really well and I don't find it for a few days. A few years ago when I was pregnant and not patrolling the yard as much, I had 2 broody cream Legbar hens come trotting out with broods. I got 2 very lovely pullets( now great looking hens) from those hidden nests.

The only ones I have "locked up" so I can be 100% sure they are CLB's are the ones that give me the white sports. I have decided to be done hatching for this year.

Back
Top Bottom