CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a hard time finding an answer in the searches for a stupidly basic question.
When breeding to SOP Standards, how does one judge if the birds are meeting weight standards?
I understand that a cockerel is a male bird less than a year old, and a cock is a male bird more than a year old, but when trying to determine ideal weight gains, etc, what more specific time frame is used to define a cockerel?
In other words, if the cockerel is supposed to weigh 7.5 lbs, when should I expect them to achieve that weight? (6 months, 8 months?)
Same thing with the pullet weights, pullets are supposed to weight 5.5 lbs when should I expect that weight, and when should I begin culling, I don't want to cull too soon for improper weight gain, but I can't find anywhere that says "Cockerel/Pullet should achieve these weights at xyz Date After Hatch"
Thanks.
It's really hard to search for that, and not get caught up in dozens and dozens of pages of threads of people debating what is and isn't right about breeding and how they breed to SOP, not criticizing the wealth of knowledge, just a little intimidating.
-KS

I'm having a hard time finding an answer in the searches for a stupidly basic question.
When breeding to SOP Standards, how does one judge if the birds are meeting weight standards?
I understand that a cockerel is a male bird less than a year old, and a cock is a male bird more than a year old, but when trying to determine ideal weight gains, etc, what more specific time frame is used to define a cockerel?
In other words, if the cockerel is supposed to weigh 7.5 lbs, when should I expect them to achieve that weight? (6 months, 8 months?)
Same thing with the pullet weights, pullets are supposed to weight 5.5 lbs when should I expect that weight, and when should I begin culling, I don't want to cull too soon for improper weight gain, but I can't find anywhere that says "Cockerel/Pullet should achieve these weights at xyz Date After Hatch"
Thanks.
It's really hard to search for that, and not get caught up in dozens and dozens of pages of threads of people debating what is and isn't right about breeding and how they breed to SOP, not criticizing the wealth of knowledge, just a little intimidating.
-KS

The answer you seek varies between breed, and also between lines of the same breed. If you search Yellow House Farm's posts in the Heritage Large Fowl and Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry threads, you will have a better grasp of what to expect.

The answer you seek varies between breed, and also between lines of the same breed. If you search Yellow House Farm's posts in the Heritage Large Fowl and Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry threads, you will have a better grasp of what to expect.

In re: to nepoisopen's rating - Keep your chin up! Enjoy your birds, they all taste like chicken. It's the journey - not the destination.
smile.png

Thanks.
-KS

The answer you seek varies between breed, and also between lines of the same breed. If you search Yellow House Farm's posts in the Heritage Large Fowl and Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry threads, you will have a better grasp of what to expect
I haven't seen any good answers to the question either. In my own mind I'm thinking that if they are pretty close to the listed weight at 6 months and achieve it at 9 then I'm probably doing something right.
tongue.png

I would probably worry if they were too far below weight at 6 months and still not close at 9. Thinking on this in regards to showing, I would imagine that most other things being equal a judge would place the heavier bird higher than a lighter bird.

What is your breed?

~~Originally Posted by nepoisopen View Post I'm having a hard time finding an answer in the searches for a stupidly basic question. When breeding to SOP Standards, how does one judge if the birds are meeting weight standards? I understand that a cockerel is a male bird less than a year old, and a cock is a male bird more than a year old, but when trying to determine ideal weight gains, etc, what more specific time frame is used to define a cockerel? In other words, if the cockerel is supposed to weigh 7.5 lbs, when should I expect them to achieve that weight? (6 months, 8 months?) Same thing with the pullet weights, pullets are supposed to weight 5.5 lbs when should I expect that weight, and when should I begin culling, I don't want to cull too soon for improper weight gain, but I can't find anywhere that says "Cockerel/Pullet should achieve these weights at xyz Date After Hatch" Thanks. It's really hard to search for that, and not get caught up in dozens and dozens of pages of threads of people debating what is and isn't right about breeding and how they breed to SOP, not criticizing the wealth of knowledge, just a little intimidating. -KS
===============
Hi KS,
These are good questions and I have also been struggling with them. Folk say to cull and evaluate but tough to find the numbers and times. Then I realized it depended on the purpose of the fowl one was breeding. Meat; eggs; dual purpose. In my case, I realized I was taking advice from folk with egg poultry. Now Sussex do lay eggs, but their original purpose was a roaster. I was thinking Sussex were egg layers who were once roasters. Not so. Sussex are roasters who have been brought forward as egg layers. See what I mean? We have to understand the original purpose of our breed, even tho that may not be their current purpose. If I were to breed my Sussex with a major in eggs and a minor in roaster, I would screw up the breed type.
Ok, enough of that. So how shall we then proceed? Well, breeders sent me these URLs:
~Chapter 1 Selecting for Meat Qualities and Rate of Growth
http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/ALBCchicken_assessment-1.pdf
~Chapter 2 Selecting for Egg Production
http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/ALBCchicken_assessment-2.pdf
It jives with much other info others have shared with me. Your numbers will be different than mine because your breed and strain is different than mine. But the basic system still applies. Measure the features at 8 and 16 weeks. The birds which excel at 8 weeks will probably still excel at 16 weeks.
See what I mean? We have a basic outline for analyzing and times to do it. There is no specific for each breed unless it is commercial hybrids like Hy-Line or so. Make up a spreadsheet and input the features and the times you need to check them. Start when the chicks are hatched. the first 2 weeks will tell you a lot about who is vigorous and who is not.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
This same question was discussed here: post #18193

"
Originally Posted by fowlman01
your guess on age vs weight is valid. Each breed or strain is different. My New Hampshire weigh what they should for a cockeral by 8 months, but my Rocks would need all 12 month's to reach weight."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom