CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is time for CSU to move on to the Mediterranean Class, American Poultry Association.

CSU only works when those devoted to the breed take leadership of the section. Discussion is requested on breeding, difficulties with the breed in being bred to the SOP and other pertinent discussion. Questions are invited. Teaching on the breed up for discussion is very, very much appreciated.

Let take them in alphabetical order. First up, the Ancona.

Very pretty. However, the title of this thread is indeed LARGE fowl. Might want to post those beautiful birds on some of the bantam threads. I'd show them off.

Will you eventually have a CSU for bantam breeds?

Also, where would Araucanas fit in the classes for large fowl? Just a newby to breeding chickens.

Thanks so much!

Will you eventually have a CSU for bantam breeds?

Also, where would Araucanas fit in the classes for large fowl? Just a newby to breeding chickens.

Thanks so much!

I pm'd you. Bob Blosl had started a Heritage Bantam thread. Others must now step up and provide leadership, as Bob is no longer with us, sadly, and his contribution, wisdom and guidance of threads has ended.

Last edited:
History of the Anconas
By Roy William Van Hoesen (1915)
http://tinyurl.com/n5rnyuv
1954 Poultry Bibliography book: "Van Hoesen, R. W. History of the Anconas. D. 1915. London. Subsequent edits, published at Franklinville, N. Y. 6x9. 89 p. Paper. $4-$6. The leading work on the Ancona, and includes articles by the author and other authorities on the breed. Contains .pictures and write-ups of leading Ancona breeders, and a color plate."

A little journey among Anconas
By H. Cecil Sheppard ~~ (1919)
http://tinyurl.com/n69gq5n

July 1920 AD: " Whether interested in Anconas or not you should have this book. A real book of facts, tells in an interesting way how you can make a success in Anconas--incidentally any variety or breed of poultry."

Last edited:
My only experience with Anconas is second hand. My Dad has repeated stories of the Anconas they had in the "far barn". They apparently managed on their own pretty well for a number of years running loose and unsupervised. He occasionally beat the varments to the nest and gathered a few eggs. The chickens apparently migrated from the hen house to the barn some 1/3 mile or more away and were never brought back. They became quite wild.

I pm'd you. Bob Blosl had started a Heritage Bantam thread. Others must now step up and provide leadership, as Bob is no longer with us, sadly, and his contribution, wisdom and guidance of threads has ended.

So sorry to hear of his passing. I have started reading that thread. What a loss of a wealth of knowledge.

I wish I coudl participate, but I lost all the pictures of my Anconas when my computer crashed last fall. I hope to participate more in the Leghorn Spanish and Minorcas

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom