CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a brahma who is crow headed. When looking down at her head it is a wedge shape starting at her beak and flaring out to the width of her neck. When looking at birds that placed above her they seem to have more of a box shaped skull-much more width at the eyes. Is that even close to what I should be looking for?

I was discusing combs with Walt. I have always preferred a "rocker" comb that is attached at least to the back of the eye on an Orp.This sort of comb seems to go with the nice arched skull too. I've never seen one on a crow headed bird.Especially in males, there is generally a nice arch to the outline of the head from tip of beak to the back of the skull , in a good breeding bird. Combine that with skull width, and a bold eye, and I'm happy.
Could you explain or diagram this statement please? (just trying to be clear in my understanding)

Could you explain or diagram this statement please? (just trying to be clear in my understanding)
I do not want to see a straight line from beak to back of head with the comb following that.There should be a convex curve from the beak to the back of the skull , and the comb should follow it. Look at a rocking chair rocker upside down. There's your visual.

I believe this shows what thedragonlady is talking about, what she wants, see how the comb follows the skull

Here is an example of a leghorn, this is what I think she means by what is undesirable in rocks.

I believe this shows what thedragonlady is talking about, what she wants, see how the comb follows the skull

Here is an example of a leghorn, this is what I think she means by what is undesirable in rocks.
Thank you ! Exactly what I was talking about. That Leghorn's comb is attached in front of his eyes.The top of the comb does not follow the lineof the skull. On the Rock ,Orp, or whatever, the comb resembles an upside down rocker off a chair, and it follows the outline of the skull The comb is attached at the back of the eye..You can draw a curve from the end of the beak to the back of the skull, above and below the comb. Nice BOLD eye too.If I get rid of this awful bronchitis, I'll do better .No oxygen fogs thebrain.

Last edited:
When one reads the SOP for combs, you'll find that it will usually specifies which way the blade is to go:

NH: " [...] inclining slightly downward, but not following the contour of the neck too closely."

Orp: "[...] blade closely following the shaoe of the head."

Leghorn: "[...] extending well over back with no tendency to follow shape of neck."

With RC it's about the leader and how it needs to extend:

Wyandotte: : "[...] the entire comb curving to conform to the shape of the skull."

Ancona: "[...] extends horizontally well back of the head."

Hamburg: "[...] pointed spike, which inclines upward very slightly"

It's wonderful to observe all the little details.

When one reads the SOP for combs, you'll find that it will usually specifies which way the blade is to go:

NH: " [...] inclining slightly downward, but not following the contour of the neck too closely."

Orp: "[...] blade closely following the shaoe of the head."

Leghorn: "[...] extending well over back with no tendency to follow shape of neck."

With RC it's about the leader and how it needs to extend:

Wyandotte: : "[...] the entire comb curving to conform to the shape of the skull."

Ancona: "[...] extends horizontally well back of the head."

Hamburg: "[...] pointed spike, which inclines upward very slightly"

It's wonderful to observe all the little details.

I'm glad you posted that YHF as I was thinking the Brown Leghorn pic posted above has a typical/normal leghorn shaped comb and yes this would not look exactly right on a Rock or Orp. It would sorta resemble the hatchery/factory type red production birds with those huge Leghorn combs on those big red reads LOL

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom