CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, this point has been discussed at length since my original post several days ago.
wink.png

Regarding the photos you posted, can you critique them for us? The goal of CSU, rather than being an online poultry show, is to post pictures of the birds and then offer your own critique - what you are working towards, the traits that lead you to keep or cull a particular bird. Later, if there are any judges around familiar with the breed, they may offer their input as well.

I did want to point out that folks could see a copy of the Standard at the ABPC website without running afoul (hee hee) of the APA.

I will go edit my photos to add in some critique.
big_smile.png

Buckeye Cockerel I

Buckeye Cockerel II

(The color difference is just due to one being in full sun and the other being a cloudy day. As most people realize, in the sun the Buckeye red shows brighter but they can appear almost black in the shade. But these are two different birds but have little color difference.)

I am a novice at chicken conformation, so I really can't critique yet except for a glaring error like crow head, curly toes, pinched tail etc.

Dennis, who did you get that bird from? He's lovely! Except, there's that wing carriage thing again, now that I look at him. Is he a Shumaker bird?

Last edited:
Those wings are fine and right where they are supposed to be. Any higher and the saddle would become puffed out. a good example of what I'm referring to is directly above in the lower pic that Chris posted. see how the saddle feathers "bump-up" over the wing on the mid back.....It's highly frowned up on and is a sign of a small rib cage.

Last edited:
Those wings are fine and right where they are supposed to be. Any higher and the saddle would become puffed out. a good example of what I'm referring to is directly above in the lower pic that Chris posted. see how the saddle feathers "bump-up" over the wing on the mid back.....It's highly frowned up on and is a sign of a small rib cage.

I am afraid your statement is incorrect.

From the APA Standard of Perfection for Buckeyes:

SHAPE - MALE:

WINGS: Medium in size; well folded, fronts covered by breast feathers, points by saddle feathers.

Last edited:
From the APA Standard of Perfection for Buckeyes:

SHAPE - MALE:

WINGS: Medium in size; well folded, fronts covered by breast feathers, points by saddle feathers.
Yes, I agree with SOP, points/tips of wings should be covered by the saddle feathers when folded. I have had a couple who carried their wings worng -- I do not necessarily cull for the trait if the bird has something else I need, but I do not tolerate it in the bird's offspring.

Yes, I agree with SOP, points/tips of wings should be covered by the saddle feathers when folded. I have had a couple who carried their wings worng -- I do not necessarily cull for the trait if the bird has something else I need, but I do not tolerate it in the bird's offspring.
Okay, looking at the photos you posted, would you agree that the Cockerel 1 is carrying his wings a little low as well ? Looks like Cockerel 2 wings are tucked up a little higher IMO. Just trying to learn the differences in what is correct / incorrect, and i'm sure there is many different opinions on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom