CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some lovely Welsummers! I have some young pullets and a young roo - two pullets are from a hatchery...one pullet and the cockeral are from a breeder not to far from me. I will post some pictures and...would love to have them critiqued. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get one where my cockeral baby is not moving but I'm going to put what I can on here - ignore it if its just too difficult. The "ladies" were much more cooperative!

HappyChooks, I really like that cockerel you have growing out - his chest/belly shape is exactly what I'd like to attain. I also like where he's holding his wings. the slope of his back, neck to tail looks really good, and he has the flat back that is called for in the standard. On your hens, does that cushion disappear when she holds her tail up?

Order of pictures

1. NV rooster, nice size for his age, but he was more of a RIR built, long topline, (he was ready to hunker down), and had two white/grey primary feathers on his left wing but no other white feathers elsewhere. He does have a lot of width in his chest. His eyes could be a bit darker but it was dark gold with red tint. As he got older, I sold him to a friend of mine outside of town and she went ahead showing him with one of the good IL APA certified judge and he told her despite of his frostbitten comb and wattles, he showed substance, depth, color and type of a very good Welsummer. He told her the comb and white primary feathers were the only major fault he could find in this rooster and told her to improve by using a brother that don't have the white feathers (unfortunately I got rid of them when they were a couple months old). He had light slate color underfeathers (downs). Wings might be a bit low.

2. These are Welsummer Bantams. From Erhard's stock. Stockier in conformation, and a bit dark (but they are lighter now). Eyes were darker than their LF cousins, almost reddish bay in color. Had one with a pinched tail and the other was a bit lower in her tail carriage. Leg colors were beautiful until they start laying. Not great egg layers and they lay light tan eggs.

3 and 4 She had the size, depth of a laying hen and wonderful disposition. Good wing carriage. Her faults were she showed real pale yellow legs when she started laying and her Comb is a bit big. Walks and stands like a "tank" but her hocks were not bowlegged or "camp wide" (in horse judging LOL). Excellent layer. Now deceased. She came from Calicowoods/Harry Shaw. I question her chest, since I can see some roundness on top but flat from point of chest down to her shanks.

Thank you Diane for posting. I've tried previous with IE and Google...no go!
Posting these for Ewesheep

How long of a topline do you need? Do they need to be built like RIRs or a bit upright than a RIR?
I think Fred was just using an example of what he breeds. RIR's and Welsummers are different in type. RIR's are Brick shaped, with a long, long back.

HappyChooks, I really like that cockerel you have growing out - his chest/belly shape is exactly what I'd like to attain.  I also like where he's holding his wings.  the slope of his back, neck to tail looks really good, and he has the flat back that is called for in the standard.   On your hens, does that cushion disappear when she holds her tail up?

Thank you. She does seem to lose the very small cushion when she holds her tail up. She has a great tail angle.

Last edited:
for both hens and roos the back it to be broad and long, sloping slightly downwards towards the tail. The tail is to be set at 60 degrees above the horizontal. I'd like to know exactly what is meant by "long" as well". If one of the birds we have pictured is a good example of a long back, can the judges point that out. I don't think any of mine have a back as long as the one pictured in the SOP. I did note that the standard calls for either golden or copper hackles on the female.. which is good because I know some are breeding more towards the copper and some like myself are going for more golden brown.

Quote: I %100 agree with you. Sadly I have came across a lot of people who think that the small stuff is more important than the conformation of the bird
th.gif
the conformation has the most points taken away. Even if I did point it out to them in the standard they still don't believe me!
he.gif

How long of a topline do you need? Do they need to be built like RIRs or a bit upright than a RIR?

I think Fred was just using an example of what he breeds. RIR's and Welsummers are different in type. RIR's are Brick shaped, with a long, long back.

That is correct. One of the most challenging things is to study the correct Standard for your breed's type, see great birds bred to that correct type, see this type in your mind's eye and then set out to achieve this correct type, for your breed, in your own birds. Without the correct type, having an otherwise beautiful bird simply won't get the job done. Type is first, last and always the most important.

Last edited:
I'd like to know exactly what is meant by "long" as well". If one of the birds we have pictured is a good example of a long back, can the judges point that out. I don't think any of mine have a back as long as the one pictured in the SOP.
I would also like to see this. I'm very visual and pictures (or seeing a live bird) helps me see what I might be missing in text.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom