CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember somewhere in 1913 and thereabouts, the Kleins disease brought their numbers down. And WWI (ONE) a large numbers of birds were disposed of and the breeder at Welsum was only able to retain 12 hens and one cock. And by 1921, numbers rebounded, and in 1922-3, steps were taken to fix a standard. An association of Welsum breeders was only founded in 1927 when the Dutch Association for the Improvement of the Welsum Poultry was formed. (J. Batty, page 9 The Welsummer Fowl)

So, Bjorn, do you mean the Kleins disease back in 1913? I know WWII wrecked havoc on chicken and rabbit farms.

The book did not say the name of the breeder or breeders in Welsum that lost almost all of their birds. There was a gentleman's name I can not remember..........but I do remember a story that Andre told me that his family lived in Welsum and told me a bit about it.

The name of the breeder is A.Voorhorst. He was a teacher and lived in Welsum.
With help from a poultry consulant he has set the type/appearance for the Welsumer.
His grandson, J.Voorhorst lives in Welsum, he is a member of the Dutch Welsumerclub and got some Welsumers in his backyard. He is not a breeder for exhibitions.
Other famous names are Bredenoord, Beumer and Schokkenkamp.
They were all poultry farmers and they keep Welsumers, because those years the Welsumers was a commercial breed like the Barnevelder.
Schokkenkamp tried to improve the production qualities by crossing the partridge into the Welsumer. He also tried to make his own Welsumer Standard with help from another poultry consulant and farmers. But Voorhorst also made a Standard. So in the village of Welsum there were two sides: Voorhorst who tries to improve the Welsumer by inbreeding and Schokkenkamp who tries to improve the Welsumer by interbreeding with the Leghorn. They were no friends by making both their own Standard, the atmosphere in the village was not getting any better.

Last edited:
I managed to catch two pullets from this spring hatch and took photos of feathers best I could by myself. The Welsummer color that Marcel described is really the Welsummers own as no other chickens has this color.For this same reason, the Dutch breeders find it not interesting to create other color varieties for the Welsummer.
Another thing to mention is too large combs on many Welsummer, almost like leghorns.. I hope more breeders will look out for that.
Piet

Piet - if you wouldn't mind, would you be able to get a rear shot of one of your hens? I'd like to see the spacing on the tails, so I know what to work towards.

The name of the breeder is A.Voorhorst. He was a teacher and lived in Welsum.
With help from a poultry consulant he has set the type/appearance for the Welsumer.
His grandson, J.Voorhorst lives in Welsum, he is a member of the Dutch Welsumerclub and got some Welsumers in his backyard. He is not a breeder for exhibitions.
Other famous names are Bredenoord, Beumer and Schokkenkamp.
They were all poultry farmers and they keep Welsumers, because those years the Welsumers was a commercial breed like the Barnevelder.
Schokkenkamp tried to improve the production qualities by crossing the partridge into the Welsumer. He also tried to make his own Welsumer Standard with help from another poultry consulant and farmers. But Voorhorst also made a Standard. So in the village of Welsum there were two sides: Voorhorst who tries to improve the Welsumer by inbreeding and Schokkenkamp who tries to improve the Welsumer by interbreeding with the Leghorn. They were no friends by making both their own Standard, the atmosphere in the village was not getting any better.
YES! Voorhorst! Andre told me that he was a very nice guy but not serious like his grandfather was.

I've heard of Schokkenkamp somewhere. Maybe it was one of the letters that a lady wrote, that was from Holland. She raised Cochins and a judge. She mentioned that she had to cut back on her judging because she didn't want to drive six hours one way and again after the one-day show.

I will try to make some shots after the weekend. The tails on the welsummer hen is nothing special and actually a bit pinched and small. like someone just stuck some feathers in there. Fairly narrow, the top tail feathers curve a bit over.

Thank you Piet. Someone said earlier that the are more narrow than most other breeds, but I'm trying to compare to see if mine are normal or too pinched. I appreciate your help and sharing your experience with them.

The genome of the Welsumer is: e+/e+ s+/s+ Ar+/Ar+ Mh/Mh
The genetic name: Mahogany Gold Bankiva partridge.
Do you include the Ar+/Ar+ because it is believed to be an integral part of the salmon breast?
Or because Ar+/Ar+ acts in addition to a salmon breast which is caused by the s+/s+ on the e+ locus?
Thanks,
Karen

Ar+ = Autosomal red
Autosomal red confirmed/connected to the salmon breast of Bankivapartridge hens and golden hens in the foreground/ground colour. Autosomal red is an incomplete dominant gene. Incomplete means that the dose is the same as in a complete, in two doses. It is written with a capital letter because the gene is dominant, and the plus because it also occurs in the Bankiva. Each gene from the wild Bankiva (Red Jungle Fowl) gets a plus, which is ever so agreed. Autosomal red can only disappear by selection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom