CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Marcel, I found that a funny comment also when the opposite is true. Remember that in North America, they will only see a small hand full of animal that are foreign and will judge them as if the whole other one million birds abroad are that same way. I remember not too long ago when they brought some Flemish Giants from Germany into the States (a pair) the big fault on them was a narrow back end, but everyone at convention seen them because they were so different (larger) and eye catching. However all of the sudden all European Flemish had bad back ends according to the North Americans..2 animals
Piet

I could have phrased that a little better:
Where in general every time when foreign animals are brought to a different country, the breeders there will look at them and quickly assume that this is the best sample from the exporting country and often giving a false idea of what is really out there.
The ONLY way to REALLY get the eyeopener, is to fly there and visit a big show!
Piet

One thing about the shafting on the hens breast..I see better breast as far as less shafting on hens that have almost no shafting overall. Its the whole "blanket" that comes to play I think and if the SOP wants shafting on the back, you will find it on the breast also.
I don't know anything about genetics, but it makes sense to me that the shafting in the chest would be connected to the shafting in the back.

Last edited:
Thanks Marcel, I found that a funny comment also when the opposite is true. Remember that in North America, they will only see a small hand full of animal that are foreign and will judge them as if the whole other one million birds abroad are that same way. I remember not too long ago when they brought some Flemish Giants from Germany into the States (a pair) the big fault on them was a narrow back end, but everyone at convention seen them because they were so different (larger) and eye catching. However all of the sudden all European Flemish had bad back ends according to the North Americans..2 animals
Piet
I know, I happen to see that a lot more frequently with one importer. It started off nice but after a while, problems started to magnify ten times and the next generation, ten times MORE and MORE effort to eliminate or breed it out. I am glad one breed club is doing something about it even it is such a small pool but if you look at it, it really isn't but it brings out MORE problems to begin with.

Problem with the importer, I don't honestly think they did a very good research on getting the best animals they can get and bringing one male to cross over American females is a recipe for more headaches. I wish the importer would contact the breed club in their respective countries and get the best of best and not afraid to get consistency and not having problems like they are now.

I noticed some of the Flemish Giants had narrow back ends and I thought it was just the breed "trademark" like we do for the draft horses (cow hocks...which gives them the POWER to pull wagons/work). I hope they will work on improving it but it just set you back too much to go forward, only to the very dedicated breeders that would keep improving from the original stock and its descendents.

This Welsummer chapter of this thread has been one of the more informational discussions..imo. The inclusion from the international breeders really has made the discussions that much more valuable; really capturing the breed from all angles. It has been a delight watching this all unfold.

Here are a couple this years birds rear shots

Of interest to all breeding e+ and eWh based poultry
Hi,
Ok, I know I have been asking lot of questions about genomes, Ar+ and the salmon breast of the hen. Struggling to understand the differences in genome nomenclature between experts. It seemed for a while as if those who cleave to Brain Reeder's work and those who cleave to the Van Dort and Hancox book, "The Genetics of Chicken Colours-The Basics", came from 2 different camps of thought. Trying to read both books and understand Ar+ , ar- , Ap+ , and Ap- was a losing battle.
Finally Brian Reeder has written an article in the online magazine "Exhibition Poultry" which explains all the differences....and finally clarifies the subject of Autosomal red and Autosomal pheomelanin. Specifically, [FONT=Times New Roman+FPEF][FONT=Times New Roman+FPEF]"Aph is in fact not red. It is a warm colored salmon/cinnamon toned pigment." Reeder uses Aph for Ap+ now.[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.exhibitionpoultry.net/4-7 pdf.pdf The rest of the article is equally interesting.
Oh happy day,
Karen

Last edited:
Of interest to all breeding e+ and eWh based poultry
Hi,
Ok, I know I have been asking lot of questions about genomes, Ar+ and the salmon breast of the hen. Struggling to understand the differences in genome nomenclature between experts. It seemed for a while as if those who cleave to Brain Reeder's work and those who cleave to the Van Dort and Hancox book, "The Genetics of Chicken Colours-The Basics", came from 2 different camps of thought. Trying to read both books and understand Ar+ , ar- , Ap+ , and Ap- was a losing battle.
Finally Brian Reeder has written an article in the online magazine "Exhibition Poultry" which explains all the differences....and finally clarifies the subject of Autosomal red and Autosomal pheomelanin. http://www.exhibitionpoultry.net/4-7 pdf.pdf
Oh happy day,
Karen
Karen

Be sure to look at July, Aug, Sept and Oct (I think)....as his article was part of 3 or 4 part series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom