CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you post a link to the series you watched online?

Thanks,

There is some good info on this at ALBC - with pics
http://albc-usa.org/documents/ALBCchicken_assessment-2.pdf

Great link:)

I just started this type of evaluation and will be ordering trap nest fronts for my nest boxes as well. I watched this series on line along with several others.

There is so much to consider when breeding and it makes it challenging:) For example, I personally like some of my hens to go broody, but the original Barnevelder was meant to be a non- broody breed for best egg production. But, they also say that barnies can be good broodies after they get older. So, I have set a goal to try to select for more hens that don't go broody until after they are older or not at all. I will also keep the some of the best setting and best mother hens as well, but as long as they laid well for at least a full year. I just don't want to end up with a flock of barnies that thinks they are silkies. A pullet that lays a couple of dozen eggs then stops to go broody is not worth any thing to me.

Trisha

I don't have a lot of pictures to share. Due to bad circumstances, I'm still trying to get my breeding flock going. My only roosters right now are blue. I'm growing out 9 pure barnevelder cockerels, and 5 pullets - they are 4 1/2 months old.

This was my best hen. Unfortunately, I lost her this year while she was raising babies. I still have her mother, so hopefully when my pure boys mature, I can hatch some more of her offspring. Her legs are pale from laying. Her positives that I see are nice, high tail set, tight wing set, nice rounded underline, nice lacing. Negatives were her comb wasn't the best.

Her mother, who used to have a straight comb until she scalped it. Found it hanging by a thread one day. Someone in the coop removed it for her. Her feathers are not in the best condition here, it was fall and approaching molting time.

Same hen, showing her lacing:

This is one of the cockerels I'm growing out. This picture was taken when he was 3 months old. It's a terrible picture for critique, but it captures the "glow" that barnevelders have in the sun. He was still molting his wing feathers.

And this is a 3 month old pullet showing her chest lacing coming in:

Can anyone tell me, all there is to know about the standards??
APA%20Standard%202010%20open.jpg

You can find it in the SOP, available online from American Poultry Association for $60 per shipping (new) and there are old copies to be found for less (used.) The standards don't change often.

Last edited by a moderator:
APA%20Standard%202010%20open.jpg

You can find it in the SOP, available online from American Poultry Association for $60 per shipping (new) and there are old copies to be found for less (used.)  The standards don't change often.

It's a little steep, but well worth it in my opinion. A must if you intend to exhibit or breed show quality birds. The first part of the SOP deals with general topics, then it gets into each breed specifically. There are 3 negatives to this book:
1. There aren't pictures of the breeds,but rather an artists rendering.
2. Some descriptions can be very vague, although that may be on purpose.
3. You learn quickly that the gorgeous cockerel you have hand picked to show eventually, really isn't that nice of a bird exhibition-wise

I don't have a lot of pictures to share. Due to bad circumstances, I'm still trying to get my breeding flock going. My only roosters right now are blue. I'm growing out 9 pure barnevelder cockerels, and 5 pullets - they are 4 1/2 months old.

This was my best hen. Unfortunately, I lost her this year while she was raising babies. I still have her mother, so hopefully when my pure boys mature, I can hatch some more of her offspring. Her legs are pale from laying. Her positives that I see are nice, high tail set, tight wing set, nice rounded underline, nice lacing. Negatives were her comb wasn't the best.

Her mother, who used to have a straight comb until she scalped it. Found it hanging by a thread one day. Someone in the coop removed it for her. Her feathers are not in the best condition here, it was fall and approaching molting time.

Same hen, showing her lacing:

This is one of the cockerels I'm growing out. This picture was taken when he was 3 months old. It's a terrible picture for critique, but it captures the "glow" that barnevelders have in the sun. He was still molting his wing feathers.

And this is a 3 month old pullet showing her chest lacing coming in:
I think the hen in the second picture looks better than the one in the first picture as far as the American SOP. The "best hen's" neck is shorter and stockier than the image in the SOP. The first hen is also carrying her tail higher than the 50 Degrees stated in the SOP. the lacing is beautiful!

Can anyone tell me, all there is to know about the standards??
Get a copy of the Standard of Perfection. Read it, read it again, study it some more , not forgetting to read the first 40 pages of the book about 5 times. If you then have questions then , we are here to help.

I think the hen in the second picture looks better than the one in the first picture as far as the American SOP. The "best hen's" neck is shorter and stockier than the image in the SOP. The first hen is also carrying her tail higher than the 50 Degrees stated in the SOP. the lacing is beautiful!
Thank you for the critique. (off to look at my SOP again) Both had nice lacing. I still have the 2nd hen, so her and my new pullets that make the cut will be where I'll start from as soon as I pick from the 9 cockerels.

I did wonder if the first hen's legs were a bit too short?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom