CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Thanks you for this information. I have heard that comb faults are hard to breed out, so its good to know that some are easier than others to work with.

The take away, if I understand it right, is that any comb fault which is a serious defect or DQ by APA standards (like side-sprigs, flopped-over comb) should be culled because it is hard to remove from the genes, but other faults that are minor point deductions such as number of points are not as big of a deal because they are easier to remove. Is this why the APA has established the DQ vs points off for certain traits? If it is a DQ, is it because that particular trait is very hard to remove from a flock once it appears?

I don't know about perfect, but my prior rooster had what I would consider a nice comb.

Full body shot. By this time, he lost the very first tip to frostbite.

I found this when I did a search months ago.......

and another one......

from feathersite. None if these really look he same?????

Now that we are talking combs, I have been looking at my boy's combs with a finer tuned eye. I am actually thinking my blue boy has a better comb than my standard colored boy. my standard colored boy's comb might push a bit too far onto his beak?

Here is the blue boy...his points seem more even, but are there enough of them? it seems pretty straight:

and the standard boy...his points aren't as even and I think maybe hit is scrunching up a bit near the front?:

Hello. We are new to Barnevelders & are hoping that we can add them to my daughter's colored eggers 4-H project this fall. We have been learning so much and really appreciate everyone for their efforts to share and clarify questions! Based on these 2 pictures, I am having trouble understanding the following:
  1. It sounds like Barnevelders only come in one APA recognized color- the red & black double laced but not blue. Are these picture 2 ex. of other colors or are the differences between say Dutch & US birds?
  2. Does anyone show them and if so, do judges prefer the lacing on the roos breast or solid like the 7 pictures shown earlier. Which one is easier to work with if I am new to breeding/ showing?
  3. I have had read line distinctions like vA & vB and I think it refers to show vs. egg color breeding lines, but could someone clarify?
Thank you!

Hello. We are new to Barnevelders & are hoping that we can add them to my daughter's colored eggers 4-H project this fall. We have been learning so much and really appreciate everyone for their efforts to share and clarify questions! Based on these 2 pictures, I am having trouble understanding the following:
  1. It sounds like Barnevelders only come in one APA recognized color- the red & black double laced but not blue. Are these picture 2 ex. of other colors or are the differences between say Dutch & US birds?
  2. Does anyone show them and if so, do judges prefer the lacing on the roos breast or solid like the 7 pictures shown earlier. Which one is easier to work with if I am new to breeding/ showing?
  3. I have had read line distinctions like vA & vB and I think it refers to show vs. egg color breeding lines, but could someone clarify?
Thank you!

Hello! I'm up the hill from you.

1. The only recognized color is the black and red double laced. There are several breeders working on the blues, but they are relatively new. Some have imported blues from what I understand and some were created using other breeds then crossed back to pure barnevelders. Greenfire Farms imported black/silver, but as far as I'm aware, only in bantams not large fowl.

2. This has been a heated topic on the barnevelder thread. The SOP calls for a laced breast in the males. I can't really paraphrase everyone's thoughts, so you might be better off reading it on that thread. You can find it here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...r-and-improve-the-breed/3800_50#post_11849954 Go backwards a few weeks and you will find it.

3. From my understanding on the lines - Christina Ledford (vb lines) sold her flock and is no longer working with them. Mr. Johan was making great progress with his line, but unfortunately, he has passed away. The Cratty lines, I'm not as familiar with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom