CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walt do you have any pictures of your "white" hamburgs?

No.
Some these females would turn white slowly over a period of 6-8 years. Much like Cayuga or East Indie ducks. It would start out with random white feathers and more each year until they were totally white. I have never had a chicken do that.

Walt

No.
Some these females would turn white slowly over a period of 6-8 years. Much like Cayuga or East Indie ducks. It would start out with random white feathers and more each year until they were totally white. I have never had a chicken do that.

Walt
A lady sent me photos of a black Orp. that did just that. Black with one white feather at one year, then mottled, and snow white at 3.The bird came from supposedly black breeding.Grecian Formula for chickens ?

A lady sent me photos of a black Orp. that did just that. Black with one white feather at one year, then mottled, and snow white at 3.The bird came from supposedly black breeding.Grecian Formula for chickens ?

Female black ducks do this, but until the Hamburgs I had never seen it in chickens. Only some the females did this.

w.

Last edited:
Quote: Judge Card talks about this in his "Breeding Laws" book. How this shows an outgoing of color strength and how to fix it.
Just a thought,
Karen

Female black ducks do this, but until the Hamburgs I had never seen it in chickens. Only some the females did this.

w.

In ducks it's generally the ones with the best color that develop the white feathers. I came across a nearly all white "Black" East Indie Duck in a sale pen one time. She had excellent type, bill & leg color. All the others had been sold & were waiting to be picked up. The seller said she was 3 years old. I bought her & she produced some great ducklings with tremendous color. Interestingly it's only the ducks that turn white, not the drakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom