CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another odd thing about this strain of black Hamburgs is: Some of the females combs change from spring/summer to Fall. part of the year the comb looks perfect and then it.... for a better word "melts" and becomes this flat glob that is very unattractive. It starts to look more like a bad Wyndotte comb. I have never seen a comb change back and forth like that.

Has anyone seen this before?

Walt

These 2 hens are beginning to molt. Their tails are heavily damaged also.

I like that it is not showing a blade leader.

w.

So far I haven't seen a one. Guess paul worked that out a long time ago. The main things I've seen I need to work on are wattles and brassiness on the males. I don't have a clue on how to get rid of the brassiness and keep them pure.

So far I haven't seen a one. Guess paul worked that out a long time ago. The main things I've seen I need to work on are wattles and brassiness on the males. I don't have a clue on how to get rid of the brassiness and keep them pure.
Neil42141

I am fighting the same thing on my Columbian Rock males.....hackles, back/shoulders and saddles on mine are brassy

There is a 3 or 4 part series in Exhibition Poultry from last Fall (Aug/Sept/Oct I think) that was written by Brian Reeder concerning this issue. For me, I was able to get his help and determine I was lacking an "inhibitor" of Aph (whatever that is) that allows brassiness to be expressed.

I had to outcross to a GOOD barred rock female to maintain type, but gain the inhibitors needed. I have 1 MORE breeding to go yet

Not sure if the same applies to Spangled Hamburgs (yours are quite stunning in my uneducated opinion). Might be worth a look

Let me know if I can help you in any way

I like that it is not showing a blade leader.

w.
Walt, When you write "blade leader," are you referring to a spike or leader that is shaped a bit like the single comb blade as opposed to the round spike of the rose comb? Just want to make sure I understand the terminology, as I used to raise Hamburgs (from Krahe) several years ago and occasionally had birds that showed this different type of spike.
Regards,
Bjorn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom