CSU - Chicken State University- Large Fowl SOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much everyone for the compliments. I will be taking a couple of these girls to the show in Paso Robles in 2 weeks. I'm excited to see how they do. I normally only show my bantam polish and runner ducks.

One hint when showing Polish- always check the feet for stubs. Little itty bitty feathers that are nearly impossible to see but every judge out there can spot in an instant. They are a DQ. Pluck them out!

-Tricia

Thank you so much everyone for the compliments. I will be taking a couple of these girls to the show in Paso Robles in 2 weeks. I'm excited to see how they do. I normally only show my bantam polish and runner ducks.

One hint when showing Polish- always check the feet for stubs. Little itty bitty feathers that are nearly impossible to see but every judge out there can spot in an instant. They are a DQ. Pluck them out!

-Tricia
I have never looked that closely at the legs before, but why would they have these?

Quote: The first Polish I ever had was a "Buff" laced Polish that a friend gave me when I lost my whole flock to a predator. Her color looked just like that one and crazy bed head as a crest but I fell in love with the breed because of her.

OK, so for critique because I really want to learn about this breed and I hope others do the same. I know we saw a very good example first, so we know what to strive for but I think critique of a not perfect bird and maybe suggestions on how to fix the shortcomings would help. Here's some of my motley crew!

Very poorly laced cockerel. Very young but obviously wasn't going to pull off lacing. If someone who wasn't going to show but wanted to work on their own backyard breed, would there be any sense in using this boy? If so, what would improve his offspring?

A lot of my black boys have this, what I call leakage? His crest was pecked but was black with only a few feathers, which tells me who is mom is. She's my black hen with about 2-3white feathers. What is the coloring called, where does it come from and can it ever be helpful in breeding for another color?

This is his mom. What would I do to breed those last white feathers out and can you?

This one has a reverse colored crest, black with gold lacing where the body is gold w/black lacing? How did that happen and could it be bred out? She was balancing on a limb so her tails was fanned out, not her normal carriage.

This is a boy that a friend hatched from my eggs. I have one like this now. Again, leakage? I've called these birds splash but are they just white birds with black and on the boys, gold leakage?

I really liked this girls body but her crest was never neat and like a ball, like her mother (the one in my original post, who passed yesterday). She was pretty young here too.

My biggest disappointment and something I won't breed is squirrel tail! Hate, hate, hate this look! Is it a DQ or is it just my personal DQ?

So, all my laced girls have reverse lacing on their crest. Is this transition to getting the good lacing?

OK, so NoseyChickens showed you the good, I showed you the bad and the ugly!
lau.gif
All education greatly appreciated! I don't know if all the breed topics started off slow but I don't want this opportunity to go by without getting some answers for my hours in my chicken chair trying to figure it all out! Thank you!

Scott.
I got the basis of a plan together. Im in the process of moving so I had to put things on hold for a few weeks. Think im going with a phoenix.

Scott.
I got the basis of a plan together. Im in the process of moving so I had to put things on hold for a few weeks. Think im going with a phoenix.

GOOD DEAL.....glad he was able to help. I hate moving. We moved twice one year (into a rental while new house was being built, then into the new one)....what a pain, I don't envy you doing that

I have a cockerel right now I named "Mr Fix It" that I am hoping will be my answer to the same problem

My first suggestion in correcting the colors would be to separate your birds and breed colors that are supposed to go together. Otherwise you will always have mixed up non standard colors. Breed with a purpose not just randomly if you are looking to improve. Cull and cull hard. (that does not mean kill, you can pet them out) Don't keep birds that are not going to improve your offspring. I would rather have only 2 good birds to work with than a bunch of cruddy ones. Squirrel tail is a DQ in almost all breeds.

I was really lucky and had some one that has been working with polish for years help me get started with my LF Buff Laced. My bantams have taken me a lot longer because I started with hatching eggs over the internet, except with my bantam buff laced they came from a good source. I haven't been showing very long, but I have found that most people that are showing with you are willing to help you out. Most of them enjoy the competition. Walt (Fowlman01) has taught me a lot about runner ducks just by talking to him at shows. I have SO much to learn about the birds I work with. I learn something new all the time. No matter what you will look at every bird you own and run through its faults every time. LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom