Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Pics
I have a pair of black breasted red Cubalaya from Sand Hill Preservation...and I'm in love with them.
love.gif
However, they are very small...they actually look like bantams. If anyone sells hatching eggs, I would be eternally grateful to buy some.
bow.gif
fl.gif

standard is 6 lbs. for cocks and 4 lbs for hens. my bb reds from sandhill were pretty close to that at 18 months. they sure didn't look like bantams.

My cubalaya pullet who is 8 months and has been laying for a month is really small. She looks like a bantam. At what age do they get bigger?

Maturity is at 1 1-2 to 3 years. The standard calls for 6 pound cocks, 4 pound hens. This is the same size as a leghorn. Most of your hatchery birds are going to be more like 4 pound cocks, and 2 pound hens-this is very small, but still not into bantam territory. They are not a heavy/large breed, even when at standard weights.

Quote:
I'm wanting it more for looks. It would be nice to have roos that are beautiful and at be able to stay together.

Also it was mentioned that they added to the Games. I'd rather get a pair or trio, but if a roo is all I can get than this is what I'd like to do.

Quote:
I'm wanting it more for looks. It would be nice to have roos that are beautiful and at be able to stay together.

Also it was mentioned that they added to the Games. I'd rather get a pair or trio, but if a roo is all I can get than this is what I'd like to do.

The cocks can stay together if they have been raised together and not separated. If separated they will fight when put back together. When they do fight they usually don't fight to the death, but death is often the result of the battle within a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom