Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Pics
when i first started looking for cubalayas , i looked at every picture that i could find on the breed. a lot of these pictures were saladin's and of his birds. to me , his birds are what a cubalaya should look like. yes, i try to breed for the standard but if all the cubalayas in my yard resemble his then i feel that i am on the right track.

I'm not going to auction them, but I have 3 black breasted red Cubalaya chicks for sale. 2 months old, 2 roosters and 1 pullet...all must go together. If anyone is interested, pm me for pics. I lost my adult pair last week, and my heart was broken. So I'm going to sell these chicks and start over next year...hopefully.
sad.png

Shelley,

You lost me. Why in the world are you getting rid of your birds and starting over?

I started raising Cubalayas a long time ago. Thru the years I have collected birds from every established strain/family in the States: most were inbred badly, very small, and not in good shape.

All of us have to start somewhere. The birds you have can be part of your foundation stock. As a great breeder once said, "Start where you are with what you have."

cub,
That was a very nice thing for you to say.

Saladin...let me just give a synopsis of my chicken life as of late.
sad.png
hide.gif
2 weeks ago, I lost my entire flock (except for 2 roosters) of blue/splash Orpingtons to a neighbors dog. 10 days later (last Friday night), I had a mink squeeze through a 1" hole in my cinder block coop and kill 21 Silkies, and seriously injure another 11. And one day after that, my young adult pair of Cubalaya were killed by an aggressive rooster, who is going to freezer camp on Monday. So my heart is still bleeding, and I need some time to re-group and regain my security.
hit.gif
I absolutely adored my Cubalaya pair and I love the breed...but I suppose I'm trying to minimize my risk for heartbreak again...at least for a little while. I know that probably sounds childish and crazy.
hide.gif

A suggestion that will solve your problem:

Sardines + poison

Works great on dogs, cats, minks, opposums, etc.

Antifreeze (the green kind) also works well with dogs.

Just pick up the dead each morning and bury them. The problem will go away.

So that there are no misunderstandings here.

I have the right to protect the animals on my property. If the dog that belongs to the president were to set foot on my farm I'd kill him (the dog) in a heartbeat without blinking an eye. Just ask my neighbors if I'm not being serious. They've lost as of today around 15 dogs and twice that many cats.

Thanks for the suggestions, Saladin.
wink.png

The mink is dead. He was stupid enough to hang around long enough to meet Mr. 410 (shotgun). As for my new neighbor's dog...animal control paid them a visit and they were told that I would shoot the dog if it came on my property. Haven't seen a hair of that dog since. I can't leave any kind of poison out...we have a barn cat that frequents the coop and outdoor pens at night to keep the mice in check. Wouldn't want anything to happen to her.
smile.png

However it was accomplished I'm glad the problem is taken care of. (Seems I remember my English teachers told me never to end a sentence with a preposition. Must have been some yankee rule because it sure looks good to me. lol)

Quote:
A Red Pyle Cubalaya chick will look the same as every other Cubalaya chick in the down (excepting Blacks and Blues). The down should be yellowish white with no stripping.

Back
Top Bottom