Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Pics
Quote:
His leg length is EXCELLENT! There is alot I don't like about him, but his leg length is exactly what I would be breeding for.

Quote:
Just from the little experience I have with Cubalaya, I completely agree. My youngsters were seldom handled as chicks, but they're jump-all-over-me tame now. I love handling them just because they are so easy to work with.

Quote:
Did you get them from a lady in Brown City? If so, IT WASN'T ME
lau.gif
, but I do know who she is.
hide.gif

Yes, we did get them from a woman in Brown City! I wouldn't get chickens from her again. These birds are downright feral. Sad. Everything we had read about Cubalayas mentioned how tame they were, etc. These are wild, and terrified. We tried to crate them up for a 4H kid yesterday, and they about killed themselves pushing through the small gaps in the cage. Needless to say, he didn't take them! I've put them on Craigslist. I'm hoping for someone who is looking for a handsome lawn ornament and isn't interested in a "pet" bird. I do like the hen though. She likes to go broody from time to time on other chicken's eggs, which I think would be handy in the future.

Quote:
Well best of luck to you with finding them a new home. The lady you got them from has so many birds that she doesn't have time to handle any of them. She's bought several birds from me and always comments about how nice/tame mine are. The black breasted red pair I have came from Sand Hill, and they're SUPER sweet. I was going to sell them, but I can't part with them because they're such little sweethearts.
smile.png

some of mine are tamer than others just like some of my australorps are more friendly than others. some of mine act wild when caged or confined but they should not be a flighty bird as a breed. i was impressed with how tame the gold duckwing is that i got from gallo. i hope he passes on some of that tameness to my birds in the future.

one more thing concerning tameness, these birds dont like confinement. if you can let them free range, they will be happier and more calm. i have only had one cubalaya cock that was man aggressive and that was a pure white one from sandhill. i only have one hen left on my place that carries any of his blood.

Quote:
I understand what you're saying. Free ranging has been hit or miss around here a lot. But for the past 6 days he's been outside all day, everyday. We've FINALLY gotten our Catahoula dog to leave the chickens alone, so they can get out more. With all the freedom the Cubas have been getting, they've actually gotten bolder, have even cautiously approached me outside to see if I have any treats (huge!), and don't retreat back to the coop when they see a human. I have a man coming out to see them on Saturday. If he is a no show, I just might keep them- assuming the neighbors aren't too upset about the rooster's constant crowing.

I guess in the vein of "tameness" and free-ranging the Cubalayas: how well can they fly?? I suspect their tail may inhibit some flight, but they seem pretty capable because of their build.

I have one Sumatra pullet who is obviously happier when she ranges (she hated the heavy snow we got in December-Jan). This past summer when she was just about 6-8 months old she got out and in an attempt to get her back in the chicken run, not only did she fly away from me as I chased her but maneuvered [in flight] around a tree's trunk that is easily 5' thick. Maybe Cubalaya females would be more able to do so if they so pleased??

Cubalayas are GREAT flyers. Mine out fly anything I've seen. I have seen them fly vertically 20 feet or more with no running start, and fly horizontally 100 yards or more if scared. The tail is really not longer than something like a leghorn, or hamburg, a gamecock, or a jungle fowl. It is a normal length, but, it looks long because of the low angle. All the breeds I mentioned are great flyers.I don't think the tail is of any hindrance to them. Seems to me the longer tail chickens to a point fly better than the short tail ones. I'm sure some other breed can fly better, but, I have not seen them personally.

Back
Top Bottom