Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Pics
This is from a younger batch, born around first of July.

The wheaton hen is one of Cubalaya's, with a surprise colored cockerel

Another shot of him - what color?

I really like your white pullet. It looks like she has dark legs, I have several whites that have dark legs, varying from an almost transparent black to an actual black.
Your cockerel looks like a darker colored wheaten although that may change to lighter wheaten when he gets his first year feathers. He almost looks brown reddish.

Nice looking birds to all!! I tend to think the dark cockerel is a brown red, but could be a really dark wheaten, time will tell, a few more weeks will be enough. I will agree that free ranging if you can does make them much tamer than small pens in particular. Although you can still tame them down in small pens with some work.

It must be a trick of the cloudy morning, the white hen def. has white white/pink legs, no gray over them. Might also be the grunge from free ranging. Her mother is pure white too, but is getting into something with black grease in the yard that I can't seem to find and clean up!

My biggest leg color issue is several have remained yellow. I don't think I want to cull just yet (not enough birds). I may just mate them with white legged birds, then cull hard next year.

the surprise cockerel looks too dark to be a brown red throwback to mine. i have culled hard and seem to be rid of the yellow legged males.

Last edited:

Here is an update on my Spangled/Mottled birds. The top three cockerels are full brothers, and full brothers to Troyers' spangled birds. They have all been culled from my yard, as the heads and tails are rather poor. The head on the wheaten spangled is horrible, perfect example of "crow-headed". The heads on the other 2 are not too bad, but tails are pinched and above horizontal, so they are culls. They all typically look like the black mottled cockerel in rear, horribly high tails. The lower picture shows 3 full sisters, all related to the above birds.The mottled pullet in the front is the best so far, her tail is pinched but carried low, and the head is ok, not super, but acceptable. Same goes for the 2 whites, ok heads, not ideal, but I had many much worse. Tails are not proper lobster/shrimp tails on any of these, all are at least somewhat pinched. I consider these projects at best, they have a long way to go to be of correct type.

Last edited:

These 2 young pullets have the best tails so far this year, correct lobster/shrimp tails that spread/fan out HORIZONTALLY. They should never be folded vertically, i.e., pinched tails. The top pullet has the head/beak I am aiming for, but the bottom one has a bit better tail, still a decent head on her as well. These 2 will probably be keepers.

Those are some gorgeous birds Gallo, something to aspire to!

I am building a cockerel pen and breeding pens for next spring. Also going to sell some of my non-cubalaya birds at the next swap.

I really like the color pattern on that spangled/mottled cockerel, but if he's not built properly then it does no good to keep him. I especially like those little wheaten pullets, perhaps you have an extra one that I can get from you? I especially like the wide tails!

Back
Top Bottom