Damages of domestication!

Dany12

Crowing
12 Years
Aug 20, 2011
Hungary
They are always of the same species?

Even the feamales !

Time to interbreed with wild peacock .... as long as there still has some peacocks in India.

This reminds me of the munchkin cat.

Slowly but surely we create the munchkin peacock !

The first munchkin cat was found in my neck of the woods and it was a natural mutation and then it was breed for that particular trait. I once saw one at the pound and it was so cute, but not very friendly. I can not get over how the domestic peafowl looks so squatty compared to its wild counterparts!

I don't know, I think they may already be here. I recently saw a white trio that looked really short and squatty. Much shorter legs than my whites have.
ep.gif

I'm talking adults that are 1/2 the size of what is considered "small". Males that stand approx 2' at the top of the head. I guess more like Pygmy as opposed to munchkin.

Last edited:
But why don't people just get wild India Blue stock? That is what I don't understand. Even breeders overseas that are closer to India don't seem to have the wild looking India Blues.

Why do people spend money to import green peafowl - of which are far less common for peafowl people to own, than spend that money on importing wild type India Blues, which there is a larger market for? One reason some people breed spaldings is to give some height to India blue varieties, but I always thought that they could just get wild type India Blues for that, unless if they also want the scaled feathers look or other things that you couldn't get with even the wild type India Blues.

I have always liked the wild version better. I love how tall and thin they look. Their necks are longer looking too and the white on their face is larger.

What about the peafowl at old zoos that have been free-ranging for several generations? Are they taller? Part of the issue I think is when you take a bird and don't let it choose its mate, and the other part is in the wild they have to be tall to see in tall grass, to see predators, etc. Domestic peafowl don't have to be tall so maybe after years of domestication they lost their height. Also inbreeding could be another factor.

On 90% of wild peacocks pictures you don't see the 10 red feathers on the wing .
On almost all domestic peacocks pics we see the red feathers .... the wing muscles of the domestic peacocks are flabby, relaxed.
They are not anymore use for flying .... the function creates the organ !

perch in nature :

Flying zone !

I know nothing of Peacocks but that first picture of the 'stunted' male looks so funny.
I suppose I have only really seen wild ones on the nature programs so can really see the difference. I don't like it either
hmm.png

Also, diet has been changed dramatically as well. I mean wild Peacocks eat live snakes for goodness sake, how many snakes has a caged peacocks eaten.lol. Probably never even seen one.

I know nothing of Peacocks but that first picture of the 'stunted' male looks so funny.
I suppose I have only really seen wild ones on the nature programs so can really see the difference. I don't like it either
hmm.png

Also, diet has been changed dramatically as well. I mean wild Peacocks eat live snakes for goodness sake, how many snakes has a caged peacocks eaten.lol. Probably never even seen one.
I see snakes in my pens every now and then.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom