de-worming chickens with goat safeguard(fenbendazole)

I have not sampled their poop so I wanted to do a broad spectrum treatment. Then I will follow up with something to get the rest of what I may have missed. I live in South Georgia if that helps with identifying what is commonly a pest for the hens.

I used to live in southeast Georgia until two years ago. Chickens can get infected with just about all types of worms down here due to the warm moist soil conditions most of the year. Actually there's no difference in soil conditions living here in Jax, or in south Georgia, all the same.

Last edited:
Thank you Kathy for all your help. :) I really appreciate it. I have more than 50 chickens and I am trying to avoid having to catch each one and give them a dose of medicine in their mouth. That would be very time consuming and time comes at a premium with me. Again, thanks for your help.

I used to live in southeast Georgia until two years ago. Chickens can get infected with just about all types of worms down here due to the warm moist soil conditions most of the year. Actually there's no difference in soil conditions living here in Jax, or in south Georgia, all the same.

Dawg53, thanks for your response.

I think Baycox for coccidiosis would be a less expensive alternative.

-Kathy

Note: I know this is an old thread, but it was just mentioned in another one.
big_smile.png

Does anyone know how to dose Baycox for coccidia in poultry?

I posted this article elsewhere but thought it was relevant on this thread too. I recently found this announcement on the Merck animal health website. It was posted in March 2014. The article talks about Panacur, which is fenbendazole 200 mg/mL, but Merck also makes Safe-Guard, which is fenbendazole 100 mg/mL:

Safe-Guard is what I use for my chickens with good result. I always threw away the eggs for a week after dosing them, but won't worry about it now. The European Commission is very picky so I feel comfortable about using fenbendazole with no withdrawal period for eggs. Entire article at this link: http://www.merck-animal-health.com/news/2014-3-24.aspx

How did you dose the safe-guard? I have a small flock and prefer to use it in food....

I posted this article elsewhere but thought it was relevant on this thread too.  I recently found this announcement on the Merck animal health website. It was posted in March 2014.  The article talks about Panacur, which is fenbendazole 200 mg/mL, but Merck also makes Safe-Guard, which is fenbendazole 100 mg/mL:

Merck Animal Health (known as MSD Animal Health outside the United States and Canada) today announced that, following a positive opinion from the Committee for Medicinal Products for Veterinary Use (CVMP), the European Commission has granted the marketing authorization for the veterinary medicinal product PANACUR
00ae.png
AquaSol (fenbendazole 200 mg/mL) for use in chickens.
PANACUR
00ae.png
AquaSol is a highly stable, farm-friendly, water-administered suspension product produced with an innovative wet-milling technology. It is currently available in the EEA for use in swine.

“We are very pleased that the European Commission has approved PANACUR
00ae.png
AquaSol for chickens,” stated Fabio Paganini, Associate Vice President, Merck Animal Health. “PANACUR
00ae.png
has a long history of proven results as a leading dewormer and we are excited to bring this option for convenient water administration to chicken farmers throughout the EEA.”

Approved indication:

PANACUR
00ae.png
AquaSol will be indicated for the treatment of gastro-intestinal nematodes in chickens infected with:
  • Ascaridia galli (L5 and adult stages)
  • Heterakis gallinarum (L5 and adult stages)
Through the company’s proprietary wet-milling technology, PANACUR
00ae.png
AquaSol is a highly stable suspension which, as a result of smaller more uniform particle size, does not require frequent agitation and provides both a high level of efficacy and convenience.

PANACUR
00ae.png
AquaSol has been proven safe for all types of chickens, including layers, broilers and breeders. It has a zero day withdrawal period for eggs and a six day withdrawal period for meat and offal.

Safe-Guard is what I use for my chickens with good result.  I always threw away the eggs for a week after dosing them, but won't worry about it now. The European Commission is very picky so I feel comfortable about using fenbendazole with no withdrawal period for eggs.  Entire article at this link: http://www.merck-animal-health.com/news/2014-3-24.aspx

It's only zero day egg withdrawal when given at 1 mg/kg for five days.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom