December Hatch-A-Long 2014

haha Ive been reading a lot about them. A friend is giving me 9 adults and I am hoping to incubate their eggs

check the proper ratio of male to female. i heard of different numbers. i had 2 roosters and 11 hens and a lot of my eggs were not fertilized. some say the best is 1:5 or so. plus the nice thing about keeping more then one rooster (at leaf in my little experience) is that they don't mind each other too much.
i LOVE quail!!!

check the proper ratio of male to female. i heard of different numbers. i had 2 roosters and 11 hens and a lot of my eggs were not fertilized. some say the best is 1:5 or so. plus the nice thing about keeping more then one rooster (at leaf in my little experience) is that they don't mind each other too much.
i LOVE quail!!!

I have never considered quail... What do you love about them? What do you do with them? Sell, eat, pets???

I have never considered quail... What do you love about them? What do you do with them? Sell, eat, pets???

to me they are low maintenance birds. they do great in small areas like a small chicken tractor type set up. they are not noisy. my roosters don't really crow, and if they do its very quiet so they would go great for some one that lives in a city and is not allowed to have chickens. during the season they lay tons of eggs and even tho they are small they are more nutritious. and mine are very tame so i pick them up and "play" with them sometimes. right now we only have about 30 so its not enough to use them for meat or sell. but i definitely want to expand. oh and they are fast to produce. only take 17 days to hatch and 2 months to start laying. pop pop pop! aaaaand they look like itty bitty bumble bees when they hatch SOOOOO cute :)

Today is day 17 for my eggs. I weighed them all tonight and they lost between 8.9 and 15.1% of their original weight. The Sussex eggs all lost quite a bit more weight than they should have, but the broody is doing all the work so it is out of my hands. Tomorrow she gets one more bathroom break and then I won't check again until Friday when there might be some pips. Just waiting for the legbar egg to hatch so I can prove it can be done. ;)

Last edited:
to me they are low maintenance birds. they do great in small areas like a small chicken tractor type set up. they are not noisy. my roosters don't really crow, and if they do its very quiet so they would go great for some one that lives in a city and is not allowed to have chickens. during the season they lay tons of eggs and even tho they are small they are more nutritious. and mine are very tame so i pick them up and "play" with them sometimes. right now we only have about 30 so its not enough to use them for meat or sell. but i definitely want to expand. oh and they are fast to produce. only take 17 days to hatch and 2 months to start laying. pop pop pop! aaaaand they look like itty bitty bumble bees when they hatch SOOOOO cute :) 

Cool...I may have to look into them! Love nutritious eggs and nice birds!

Testing out my tubing method of raising the humidity during lockdown. Seems to be doing the trick. Once I get my kids off to school tomorrow I will get my humidity up and begin lockdown. I am so exited.

I am also a little less stressed than I was yesterday haha. But I'm sure I'll be stressed again tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's advise, I think I'm just gonna leave my eggs on their sides and hope for the best.

You will do just fine, and so will the eggs! I am not sure if I said this already, so forgive me if I"m repeating myself, but I use a $30 warm air humidifier from CVS next to the incubator during lock down and that works wonders. best of luck tomorrow
fl.gif
and keep us posted....remember, the chicks know what to do!
hugs.gif

I am at a complete standstill. Had one hatch day 20 & two day 21 and one pip day 20 and he is stuck...no other eggs are doing anything. 8 left and I am at day 21 7th hour. I am trying to sit on my hands to not open the incubator and save the one that pipped 30 hours ago. May be too late... :(

Frustrated...

I have heard mostly 1:4. I plan to raise mine for eggs and meat so hoping to work my way up by hatching and keeping some/butchering some etc till I get enough for a self sustaining flock. I have high hopes lol

ok another incubator update and question...I candled 6 random eggs from incubator 1 just cause I was curious and while 3 for sure looked bad like they didn't make it, 3 looked fine. I didn't see movement but I saw a definite formed chick and still lots of big veins...So what do you think? is there still a chance for them? They should've hatched friday so this is technically day 25. The other chicks hatched on day 23 and 24

I personally would let them go a few more days...nothing to lose as long as I they aren't stinky. Maybe low incubation temps?

How are your silkies coming along?

Back
Top Bottom