Dixie Rainbows Thread

Pics
I have one remaining Dixie Rainbow chick. How do I know if it is a hen or a rooster? Pickles is just a few weeks old. just starting to get a few feathers. But nearly as big as my 5 week old Ameraucanas. I am new to chickens and am trying to learn what I can. Thanks in advance.
Here are a few pics of my lil buddy. This chick would follow me all over if I would let it.

This is Pickles meeting Fiesty for the first time.

Pickles looks like a little cockerel. I impulsively bought 6 Dixie Rainbows along with Cornish X at TSC the other day and have been perusing this thread to get a feel of others experiences with them/their productivity. I'm thinking I will eat the cockerels and keep back the pullets to see how they lay. I hope they lay early and large eggs!!
I have one remaining Dixie Rainbow chick. How do I know if it is a hen or a rooster? Pickles is just a few weeks old. just starting to get a few feathers. But nearly as big as my 5 week old Ameraucanas. I am new to chickens and am trying to learn what I can. Thanks in advance. Here are a few pics of my lil buddy. This chick would follow me all over if I would let it. This is Pickles meeting Fiesty for the first time.

I absolutely love my Dixie Rainbow babies! Got them at tsc on an impulse buy lol. I ended up with 2 pullets and 1 cockerel.

Last edited:
We bought 6 Dixie Rainbows, 4 Golden Commets, and 2 Golden Laced Windotts all within a week of each other. The Dixie rainbows are at least twice the size of everyone else and are very laid back and easy to get along with. When the rainbows were about 6 weeks old we introduced 6 barred rocks that were about 2 weeks old. Two of the rainbows immediately adopted the new comers and have become excellent mothers. I've read a lot of negative comments about rainbows as layers the last several weeks but as for me once these girls age out we will be getting more.

I'm new here! I had chicken's when I was a kid and sense I bought a new house I decided to raise some chicken's. Well I bought 6 Red Pullets and seen this New Breed called Dixie Rainbows at TSC, My wife picked the runt of the litter and I picked one that was brown with black stripes down the back. Been fun watching these chicken's grow. Funny it's been about 2 months and her Runt of the litter Roy (lol) got Big. She picked the Cockrell and mine was a Pullet. Both of the Dixie Rainbows tower over the Red Pullets and they our very lovable. They come up to my wife and I and love to be petted, the Reds have a bet of attitude. Now I'm still a beginner and the 1st post said your allowing them to lay eggs first then your going to breed them later? Will that cause any problems later on when you breed them? And will the eggs be fine the first year or so even with a Cockrell in the mix? I kind of wish I had all Dixie Rainbows when I started. Thank you =-)

Back
Top Bottom