Do you trust your dog around your chickens?

we have a collie mix that dosent even look at them. when I'm bring my chicks out of the bator I have to watch her because she starts licking them. poor things. She gets them all wet.

I have a sheltie, about 2 years old now, girl, and shes AWESOME with my chickens!

When I first got them she was very curious.. "huh whats this thing struttin around my yard? *sniff sniff*" and that was it, she never snapped at them, when she got too close and I got concerned I would just tell her in a stern / warning voice "Ally.... be nice.. come'ere " and sort of let her know, those toys are off limits, not for you! and she learned fast. She's really good with them, and Shelties are one of the smartest breeds in the world (in other words easiest to train!) You should have no problem teaching your sheltie that chickens are family members, not chew toys.

I have a black and tan coon hound. She will not touch one while I am around, but it's in her blood and I thought she'd kill one if given the opportunity, but I believe she's more likely to go after my ducks.. She's a very playful young dog, so does chase them.. she loves to smell EVERYTHING AND EVERYBODY, but she is becoming trust worthy. I went out for most of the day today.. first time ever I left the dog outside with the chicks free ranging.. come home and everyone was still alive.. good dog.
smile.png

My neighbors boxer however needed a 7.62x54r cartridge in his ass to learn a lesson.

Last edited:
My dogs (both pit bull breeds) are excellent with the chickens, the one would insist on licking each chick on the head every morning. I couldn't ask for more trustworthy dogs. That being said I would never trust any dog with my chickens if I wasn't home (or within earshot). I had one of my girls get wrapped up in a strip of flypaper, she was flailing and screaming and just throwing a fit. The dogs sure thought about going for her then. My point is that every dog has a threshold (for any behavior). They might be great except for this one random unexpected situation. And I just won't put my dogs in a situation in which I'd be crushed if they acted like a normal dog (by killing chickens). So supervised, I don't worry about having my dogs and chickens free together on my 1/4 acre. Unsupervised doesn't occur.

I do trust my dog to not kill my chickens for the sake of killing, but I am very careful since she is still a puppy. She understands that when we go in the backyard that she needs to be calm. I wouldn't put it past her to accidentally kill one playing with it.

here she is haning out with them

7484_midnightandchicks3.jpg

I have loved seeing all these chicken loving dog pictures. We have a black lab and she loves to chase rabbits, squirrels, deer if given the chance. She also hates flying birds like crows or hawks and will bark at them. But yes, I trust her with our flock. She was taught from day one with the chickens that they were mine, and she needed to leave them alone. I let her see them in the brooder and even let her lick a few, but as soon as she got excited, she had to leave the room. She enjoys going to the coop, gets the occasional poop treat:rolleyes:and pretty much ignores them when the birds free range. She chased off a hawk a few weeks ago, and got a kiss from one of my BO. (well at least that is how it looked to me). I will not let them free range together when I am not outside to watch.

Quote:
We have seven dogs...

Border Collie #1 - No.
Border Collie #2 - No.
White GSD - No.
Lab mix - No.
'Fiest' dog - No.
Sarplaninac LGD - Implicitly.
Great Pyr x Sarplaninac cross LGD - Implicitly.

I have 3 dogs total. Two chihuahuas, which of course I'm more worried about them getting hurt then the chickens! But we also have a boxer/st bernard mix. We just got chickens recently and she has already learned not to harass them. I'll let a few free range but if they start walking up to her she walks away, with the look on her face saying she's not supposed to be near them. However if we weren't around at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if she got one, whether just playing or intentionally. I don't trust her quite yet.

Back
Top Bottom