dog dilemma

I love animals...pretty much any animals. I worked my butt off a few summers back to help a neighbor trap, spay/neuter a barn full of feral cats who were producing mass litters of kittens. I tried to find homes (that I KNEW believed in spay/neuter) for as many of the kittens as I could, but that was a pitifully small percentage of them. So I took bunches in carriers to the local animal shelter, knowing that the majority of them would most likely end up put down (kittens are a dime a dozen thanks to irresponsible pet owners). I also paid to have a few put down myself, as they were so sickly. The adults went back to the barn.
Shelters don't take joy in euthanizing animals - there are simply too many animals for the space. It's all well and good to cry about how horrible some animal shelters are, or about putting animals down. The fact remains that there are simply too many unwanted dogs and cats out there. It's better than running the streets, starving, etc.
If you cannot keep these two dogs, can't find someone to adopt them, and are unwilling to take them to a shelter, I would suggest having them euthanized yourself - IF your vet will even do that, as some vets won't euthanize a healthy animal. It's a hard thing to do, but kinder in my mind than some other options out there. You simply can't keep every stray out there, and there could be legal issues if the dogs are harrassing others' livestock.

I do some volunteer work with animal rescue organizations. I agree with the person who said - if you give them something it makes them more receptive to helping you. You are a fabulous artist - why not offer to do a pet portrait for one of the rescue's fundraisers? Or volunteer some time? If you invest some time or donations in one of these groups and they get to know you it will be hard for them to tell you no. I got a whole slew of feral cats neutered this way - I do the website for the cat group and they reciprocate with at-cost spay/neuter.

Good luck. Those are good looking dogs. Love the crazy eyes on the brown on.
big_smile.png

Try posting a craigslist ad, with pictures, in a larger town in your state. It's possible that someone an hours drive or so would want them.

Good luck.

i too dont understand why no craiglist.
craigslist can be a great resource if your willing to put in the time and effor to weed out the scammers and silly folks. ask for a small adoption fee (or a donation to your local rescue group or something similar) to help weed out anyone whos just in it to waste time.
id also put up flyers at any local pet and feed stores as well as vets offices.
kijiji, hoobly, petfinder, backpage all have free classifeids sections too (though ive gotten more spam off petfinders services than i have of any other free classifeids group...

if rehoming them proves to be impossible and keeping them is not going to happen, mabe a no kill rescue/shelter would be willing to take them?

If you dont' trust Craigslist, try putting them on Petfinders. Petfinders has a classified section for non-shelter, non-rescue adoptions.

Yea I get more crap off petfinder classifieds than I do craigslist. I've rehomed tons of strays through craigslist. We found 3 abandoned cats just over Nov-Jan.

ok, question on craiglist- where did you list it? i started at farm and garden, it got flagged- so i relisted it on the pets- even though i consider them more farm related-

I hope that you can find them a nice home with a fenced in yard. I wold be sure to tell folks that they have been know to be livestock and poultry aggressive. I know that around here if a dog is known to harass livestock or poultry it's a death sentence. There are chicken farms all around our area plus cattle and goats in pastures. Any dog that chases or harasses animals or poultry cannot be successfully placed, So, our shelters euthanize them almost immediately. It's really sad, but there's just too much of a chance for them to wipe out an entire house (over 25,000 chickens) if they get inside. Plus, farmers usually shoot strays on the spot! Maybe where you are you will be able to find them a safe and happy home.

rosto- that is exactly the issue here, i can't risk them going after cattle, and i fully understand the right to protect your livestock- so for now they have a run area and a locked gate area- a sad existence for them....they love running, but can't risk it

Back
Top Bottom