Dog Hair everwhere, Help

Quote:
We have a German Shepherd and I swear no matter how much we Furminate her, we still have "tumbleweeds" of hair drifting around the house. We have hardwood floors so it feels like it's ten times worse. After running the vaccuum literally thirty minutes later there is evidence of her hair all around. We've come to live with it - it's so difficult to keep it spotless. The Furminator does help.... some.
roll.png

Quote:
lol.png

i know!..as much as i love my Saints, I dont think i'd get another one because of the fur...
*well..okay..i'll get another one.. *
tongue.png

Quote:
lol.png

i know!..as much as i love my Saints, I dont think i'd get another one because of the fur...
*well..okay..i'll get another one.. *
tongue.png

How can you resist the sweet baby face of a GS though?!
wink.png

16101_sara_baby.jpg

My GS, GR, Chow mix is killing me!!!! He sheds so much and has hair in weird places like above his floppy ears and on his butt. If I don't trim him he looks like a swamp monster
hmm.png

Get an Oster undercoat rake. I like it waaaay better than the Furminator thing.
I prefer hand carding (google carding grooming) using a dull Wahl clipper blade, but it takes time.
This is what I'm working with:
4331_575717705491_55007926_33479448_7664263_n.jpg

You should look at what you're feeding. Allergies and a bad diet can cause unnecessary year-round shedding.

Don't get me wrong my dog sheds some year-round and we have all hardwood too, BUT most of the year I can get by vacuuming once or twice a week which I don't think is so bad that I would screaming for help.
Twice a year, approximately 4 months after her heat cycle she blows her coat -- during that time I can brush every day and vacuum every day and still get behind!!!!
You're supposed to have a bit of a break when it's not "shedding season" (coat blow) and if you aren't getting a break from it then I would bet my next paycheck that the issue is nutritional.

Besides oils you can add vitamins to the diet. Check the vitamin aisle of Petco or Petsmart, or even WalMart. I get one called Brewer's Yeast and Garlic, and also one called Healthy Coat. I have noticed that they help with re-growing hair after shaving, but I don't know what they do for shedding.

Sadly, for the price of Eukanuba there is better food out there... it isn't what it used to be (which I'm afraid has happened to Nutro now that Mars bought them out.) I went to Eukanuba's website and looked at the large breed puppy formula page. Strange that it didn't list the ingredients, so I googled for them...

http://dogs.about.com/od/dietandnutrition/f/euk_large_puppy.htm

First Ten Ingredients

Chicken
Corn Meal
Ground Whole Grain Sorghum
Chicken By-Product Meal

Fish Meal (source of fish oil)
Brewers Rice
Natural Chicken Flavor
Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed)
Dried Egg Product
Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E, and Citric Acid)

You're paying too much for these ingredients, an old review of it is on here http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php/product/113/sort/2/cat/all/page/1

The
ingredients have changed some since then, but not much. That website is good for researching dog foods. Best wishes, it's very frustrating (the fur AND the dog food choices!)​

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom