Dog / Human Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Looks like a protocol is being developed that can be used with about any locality in the US. What is missing is the local / city ordinances and in some situations at the neighborhood level.
Most of the ordinances with the county and city aren't posted on their websites.Many of them don't even have a website.The ordinances for my city have to be gotten thru an attorney.They don't always make these ordinances available or well known to the public(many of them don't read them themselves)Your county commission is who is over funding the Sheriffs department.They are who process the requests for losses if I'm not mistaken.I've never had a loss so I've never used it sorry.

Looks like a protocol is being developed that can be used with about any locality in the US. What is missing is the local / city ordinances and in some situations at the neighborhood level.
Under UCC code the government duties is to protect farm animals under the dept of Agriculture ( health ,disease and safety as well)The dogs can spread diseases or cause the spread of rabies,etc and jeopardize your livestock. On these grounds the dog owners are responsible.You can ask they be inspected to see if they're updated on rabies,etc

Under UCC code the government duties is to protect farm animals under the dept of Agriculture ( health ,disease and safety as well)The dogs can spread diseases or cause the spread of rabies,etc and jeopardize your livestock. On these grounds the dog owners are responsible.You can ask they be inspected to see if they're updated on rabies,etc
Unless further losses or provocations occur, I will let losses up to this point slide. I'm not keen on making tax payers pay for something neighbor has done. If my buttons pushed again, then any and all these options presented may be pursued.

Most of the ordinances with the county and city aren't posted on their websites.Many of them don't even have a website.The ordinances for my city have to be gotten thru an attorney.They don't always make these ordinances available or well known to the public(many of them don't read them themselves)Your county commission is who is over funding the Sheriffs department.They are who process the requests for losses if I'm not mistaken.I've never had a loss so I've never used it sorry.
Seems like a pain in the behind (as it always is in dealing with the government) with all the applications and affidavits and then waiting until March. Probably not even worth the aggravation unless it's a major loss like one might have with cattle or sheep.

I wonder too if it's only in cases where the dog's owners cannot be located, otherwise it lets them off the hook, which doesn't seem right.

273.120. Examination of applications, pass judgment. — The county commission shall between the first and fifteenth days of March of each year hereafter meet in session to consider and examine said applications and affidavits covering losses over a period of one year, which said year shall be from the first of March of the year prior to the meeting of said commission to the last day of February of the same year on which it meets. The commission shall examine carefully each application and affidavit which has been filed before the first day of March, and after hearing all evidence in the matter shall pass such judgment as the commission may deem equitable.

That mentions "The county sheriff or animal control authority to which any complaint under this section is made..."

I thought it meant, complain to either one depending on what exists in your area.
I don't see anything here that requires anyone to set up an animal control authority.
I was curious about that as well, but could only find this, which is not specific to Missouri, but just animal control in general.

The Role Of Local Government In Animal Control

At one time some localities added the cost of damages to the offending party's tax bill to recover their money. Not sure if this is still done or where.

Unless further losses or provocations occur, I will let losses up to this point slide. I'm not keen on making tax payers pay for something neighbor has done. If my buttons pushed again, then any and all these options presented may be pursued.
The county will turn around and go after the offender with the dog they had to pay out funds for.They're not stupid ( few deputies will ever tell anyone about this fund) The population (tax base) of the county determines whether or not they are required to have a shelter or not. If they are exempt for having one they must appoint an animal control officer. There.s no way around NOT having an animal control officer.They'll either open their own dog pound and appoint several or plead an exemption and appoint one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom