dog is KILLING all of my chickens!

I think the OP stated its likely a stray as dogs are dumped in her location.

We had a neighbors dog in my backyard. Luckily it was only chasing my chickens. We didn't shoot it only because we were not confident in the laws of livestock protection. We educated ourselves quick and returned the dog to the owner and let him know that next time it sets foot in our yard we will destroy it. And inform the police.

As much as the dog could be someone's family pet, once it kills it will likely do it again.

I think the OP should secure her chickens, but also find a way to remove the dog. Either SSS or having animal control come and collect it.

Stop promoting such. It is not accurate if people work with dogs. Allowing such to be followed is what promotes relations between dogs and livestock.

Stop promoting such. It is not accurate if people work with dogs. Allowing such to be followed is what promotes relations between dogs and livestock.

The above comment is based on my own experiences. Once a dog develops a bad habit it is much harder to retrain them out of it. The owners who put in the time to secure their dog or retrain them are not likely the cause of the issues between chicken owners and dogs at large.

However, to assume it won't again is just setting up your flock for disaster.

The above comment is based on my own experiences. Once a dog develops a bad habit it is much harder to retrain them out of it. The owners who put in the time to secure their dog or retrain them are not likely the cause of the issues between chicken owners and dogs at large.

However, to assume it won't again is just setting up your flock for disaster.

Myself and many others have experience that differs from yours and very likely more as it relates to poultry. Let us take the lead as we can make inroads in the correction of problem.

Myself and many others have experience that differs from yours and very likely more as it relates to poultry. Let us take the lead as we can make inroads in the correction of problem.

Wow.

So this forum is only for those who share your same outlook? Very sad. Please by all means "take the lead" since my experience with dogs and poultry seems to count for nothing.

I must live in some weird vortex of the country where problem dogs have actually returned to my property. :rolleyes:

didn't start this thread for people to argue but to seek out help and tell people what has happened but it is done now, in the past. Now we are just on the lookout for the dog.

But that is the entire point ,, a high percentage of dog owners don't work with their dogs!!
somad.gif
I, too, am a dog lover to the max, but your dog and/or stray comes on my property and starts killing my chickens? S - S - S .

I wonder how some of you would feel if your "well trained dog" got out and killed a few chickens and somebody shot it. Please don't say it won't happen my dog is trained blah blah blah. You never know, after all a dog is still an animal with some wild instincts. While I have unfortunately killed a few it is not the best option. I can assure you if someone presented my dead dog on a first offense chicken killing. Dead chickens would be the least of their problems. With all that being said any chronic problem dogs or situations where the owner doesn't correct the problem immediately should be dealt with as you see fit.

I wonder how some of you would feel if your "well trained dog" got out and killed a few chickens and somebody shot it. Please don't say it won't happen my dog is trained blah blah blah. You never know, after all a dog is still an animal with some wild instincts. While I have unfortunately killed a few it is not the best option. I can assure you if someone presented my dead dog on a first offense chicken killing. Dead chickens would be the least of their problems. With all that being said any chronic problem dogs or situations where the owner doesn't correct the problem immediately should be dealt with as you see fit.

I would feed that I had failed my dog (and my neighbor)- but I would not "blame" the person who was forced to take that action by my failure.

Last edited:
I would feed that I had failed my dog (and my neighbor)- but I would not "blame" the person who was forced to take that action by my failure.
X2! The chances of a dead dog are greater if we don't know where it belongs. As I stated earlier - we'd give a dog a chance if we knew where it belongs. If we don't know, it doesn't leave here.

Back
Top Bottom