Dog kennel coop- how to make door area predator proof?

capayvalleychick

Crowing
14 Years
Jan 26, 2010
Guinda CA
Hi,

I am thinking about making a coop from a dog kennel, either a chain link or welded wire, large run type, kennel.

I've made one before, from a 6x8x4 ft. chain link dog kennel. I was able to make it predator proof everywhere, except around the door. Dog kennel doors all have inches of space around the doors. I did lose one chicken to a predator that was able to reach through that space and gut the chicken.

So, I need to figure out how to cover this gap and still be able to open & close the door. Have any of you solved this issue? Or do you have any ideas?

Thanks,
Kim

47767_picture_13.png

I recycled the dog kennel below into a small coop. All I did was put chicken wire over the space that you are talking about. I will have to take a pic and post in when I get home. I don't have that pic on my computer right now. All I have is a pic of the initial setup without the chicken wire over that space. I had baby guineas in there and NEVER had a problem with predators and they were not able to slide through any of the openings.

6612_guinea_pen.jpg

I just found this pic where we put some chicken wire around the dog kennel door so that the baby ducks could not slip out and so that nothing could get in to get them. When you open the door to the kennel, the chicken wire will open with it. There will be no problems with opening and closing the door.

Can you see the green coated chicken wire over the door and space? We have it over the entire door covering ALL spaces. Not just the bottom part that you see. We have not llost any ducks, chickens or guineas EVER with this setup.
6612_sunday_ducks.jpg

I hope that this helps you.

I have been thinking about that and glad I waited too bc I came up with a good Idea. Can you make a door/panel wider than the one you have and bungee it on one side to the existing fence like a hinge and leave it back during the day and swing it closed over and beyond each side at night to make sure the opening around the sides are covered at night?

I am working on the same type set up and have another question that probably falls into this thread. I would like to make the run secure enough to be able to leave the coop door open when the weather is not nasty cold. I know for the coop you have to keep predators from "reaching in". Does the same count for the entire run if they are not closed in the coop part at night? Or would putting the hardware cloth all the way around the bottom 24 inches do the trick as anything tall enough to reach in could not squeeze through the regular panels? The kennel I have is just like the first picture posted in this tread. I know I will have to put a roof across the kennel, but am not sure what I will make it out of since the above question is unanswered in my head
smile.png

Thanks!
Kelly

Quote:
Kelly,
The unfortunate thing about predators is chicken is every predators favorite or one that's on top of the food chart for good eating. They happen to be easy pray to a animal that is determined to have it for his meal without keeping on top. Free Ranging is not certain death for every chicken but you take your chances to leave your kids out there for a small meal. That is why they are in the Coop or a covered run that are predator proof or out in a free range situation where they are being supervised like a child because they are like them and can not defend themselves against the elements around. I as a owner am responsible for my kids. I have a coop 4X8 protected and when I let them out in my uncovered side run next to my house I understand they are open to attacks by stray whatever of from a flying predator and have to except the consequences.

Your coop or run that has the 2"X4" wire will allow a predator to grab and pull what ever part off and thru that opening. I read here on the BYC that a weasel can squeeze through 1 1/2 inch of space.

Last edited:
I understand about letting them free range unsupervised. But as to the reach though they are still likely to sleep in the coop I provided them right? All contained inside the run. Im not trying to create a headache for myself by over doing the run, but dont want to stop too short of safety either.

It seems that most post on this forum agree that you need at least the bottom part covered in a tighter wire and I am trying to figure out if that is enough or if I need to carry it over the entire coop if the door to the coop remains open. I just wonder why some of the posts I have read only refer to the bottom part if it needs to go all the way up and across the top too.

Thanks again!

Kelly

I use the exact same kind of dog kennel for my run, and perhaps you can benefit from our misfortune. I covered the entire lower 3' of the run with hardware cloth EXCEPT the edges around the door. I intended to get to it eventually, but figured that I locked them up at night so it shouldn't be a big deal. Well......at about 4pm one afternoon at the end of summer, my husband heard a ruckus down at the coop, and by the time he got there, a raccoon had already grabbed one of the girls by the neck (I figure she was probably dust bathing and dozing near the door or sticking her head out for some little morsel), tried to pull her through, then tried to pull her out the top (which is covered with wire) and ultimately decapitated her in the effort. The guilt was immense.

So now I have extended the 3' hardware cloth across the door (as well as around the places where they roost outdoors during the day) to cover the gaps. Loads of ways to secure those gaps....just be sure you do it!

Back
Top Bottom