Dog kennel coop- how to make door area predator proof?

Quote:
Genius! But how did you secure the wood to a metal frame?

I drilled holes through the metal frame posts, then used 3 1/2" decking screws through the holes into the wood. I then screwed the wood together at the corners. I then used aluminum strips on the inside of the frame as a stop to close the gap between the door(gate) and the frame itself.

Thanks for the information. I think I will do as you suggested and change mine up like that. It's always so nice to get ideas from other people. I would have never thought about that.
thumbsup.gif

Here are some pix of what I did. I doubled hardware cloth (to make it stiffer/harder for a 'coon to bend) and overlapped it over the gap. The door opens OUT so the HC is on the inside. It's wired together at the corners. Note that this is a RUN, not a coop. If you are relying on this for 100% predator protection at night, I would cover the whole dang thing w/ HC. Even better, make a wooden coop for them to roost in at night that you can completely predator-proof.

From outside the run:

19926_door_outside.jpg

And from inside the run:

19926_door_inside.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! I am amazed and grateful for all the great responses and ideas!
clap.gif

Thanks so much to everyone who responded! You all have given me lots to work with, when before, I had no idea how to make it work.

I actually need 2 or 3 more coops. I need one right away, so that's why I was thinking of using a kennel. (New chickens will be coming from the show at Crossroads!) But, I've been looking at coops for about a month and have really liked all of kuntrygirl's coops, etc. that she's put together. For this quick coop, I was considering a hoop coop and came across Chook-A-Holic's plans, which I was very impressed with. I almost made one of those, until I saw how much it cost!
Anyway, I was happy to see that you both had input for me and I wanted to tell you both how much I like what you have done with your designs.
smile.png

Kim

Quote:
Would you be able to post some pics from the other side of the door so we can see how you attached it all? I just bought a kennel for our run and am worried about blocking off the door.

Thanks,
Dereck

Hi - I hope it isn't bad BYC etiquette to revive an old thread BUT...I'm thinking of building a coop like the first picture on this thread, only with three sides fully enclosed and adding nest boxes. For the nest boxes, I would clip through the chainlink and attach wooden boxes with a hinged lid on the outside of the coop so we can collect eggs from the outside. My husband and I just got our first chickens, though he grew up with them - they used to just give them a roost and nest boxes in the barn and let them free range. We have a dog kennel lying around unused, and this seemed like a great use of resources. I also like how open it is. We bought Red Comet chicks, which are supposedly good in the cold (we got them from the local general store...honestly I know nothing about breeds...). We are planning on letting them out free range during the day and locking them up at night.

My questions are for those of you using a dog kennel coop, is it working out for you?
Has anyone tried combining this with deep litter on the dirt floor? it seems like the floor will get pretty scratched up.
How do your chickens fare in the cold? I've been reading about open front coops and I like that philosophy - that it is better for the coop to protect them from drafts and snow, but to be a similar temperature to outside to avoid drastic changes in temperature.

This is my kennel coop, depending on where you live take cold winds and snow into consideration, my coop is inside the kennel and with the roof it stays dry, sand in the run. In the winter I wrap it with a heavy canvas and I put a frame with a clear shower curtain to let the sunshine in and keep the snow out.

How would I attach wood to the side of a 10 x 10 kennel?
Welcome to BYC @tylert0426 !
Depends on exactly what you were trying to do.
Best to start a new thread here in the coop construction sub forum and include some pics and more info on what you are trying to accomplish.

Back
Top Bottom